Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammerl

kind-of OT: birds and glass doors

hammerl
18 years ago

I've never had this problem before, but two birds flew head-first into my sliding glass door in three days this weekend. Needless to say, both died. What can you recommend to deter birds from trying to fly into the glass?

The only thing we've done differently lately is to leave the patio umbrella open, and maybe they are swooping around it without realizing the door is there? Maybe it removes the glare and they see sky reflected? Maybe it's just coincidence? Help.

We've had the bird feeder across the patio for almost two years. Never a problem before now. The glass isn't even shiny clean -- I can't really clean it with my broken foot, and my nieces' handprints are all over the glass.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• orcuttnyc
    18 years ago

I have large casement windows. Birds love to bounce off of them. One simple thing you might try, is putting an over sized(2"x2") post-it on each one. Stick-um holds for months. Plus, they flutter in the breeze attracting the birds attention. Seems to work for me.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I use window clings to keep the hummers and other birds from flying into my patio doors. The ones I have up right now are actually snowflakes which the kids always ask me why I have snowflakes on the windows in summer. They aren't obviously gawdy but they are enough to keep the birds from running into them. I also have vertical blinds on those doors which are always partially open so that they are able to be seen.

Penny

• cbs_z5_ny
    18 years ago

The link below has some other suggestions. One warning about the black hawk sillouettes - don't use them on thermopane windows (double glass with gas inside) - we had one on a south-facing window and the window cracked. We now use some fake spider-web clings, and some ribbons attached to clear suction-cups. Not 100% effective, but other than netting, nothing is. We have also used soap on windows as a temporary solution - just make a squiggle or "x" to break up the reflection.
    Good luck!
    -Caroline

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows/Birds from Cornell Lab of O

• adkmountaingirl
    18 years ago

I've had a similar problem with birds flying into the glass of the side door of my garage. Put up autumn leaf window clings after a beautiful white crowned sparrow flew into it and died last year.

Unfortunately, the clings on the top panes of the glass fell off recently and I found a dead cat bird there yesterday which had flown into the glass. My clings held up for a year ~ not bad since I got them at CVS for 1.99 last fall, but now it's time to go out and put up some more. That's my firt project tomorrow morning.

I hope this helps. It's a lifesaver (literally) for the birds and is a cheap alternative for you.

Good luck!

adkmountaingirl
    Wilton, NY

• oldroser
    18 years ago

Some kind of sticker on the window or a hanging sun-catcher. Snowflakes, leaves, flowers - doesn't matter what as long as it breaks up the area and shows the bird the surface is solid.

• hammerl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, my patio door looks very patriotic with lots of various sized red and blue stars. Unfortunately, birds are still bouncing off it. There are a few purple finch feathers on the door, and I witnessed a goldfinch take a glancing blow at the last minute yesterday. Thought she'd broken her wing, but apparently spent 20 minutes stunned with her wing out to the side but flew off ok when I tried to gather her to take for wildlife rehab. I even put the clings on the outside so they would show up more. It's just not working.

Due to the size of the door, spiderwebs don't seem very realistic other than as great halloween decor.

Trouble is, we'd like to still be able to look out (otherwise, we could just shuck the thing in favor of a wall.) Because it's a door, I can't just hang something shiny unless we want to walk into it every time we go outside.

I think my next step is to try relocating the bird feeders a few more feet to the right, more offset from the door.