Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouan101

overwintering hens and chicks

rouan
18 years ago

Hi, I hope someone here can answer this for me. A co-worker has hens and chicks growing in a strawberry pot. She wants to know if they'll survive outside this winter, or should she bring them into the garage (unheated). Anyone have experience with these? Any suggestions on how she should overwinter them?

Thanks in advance,

rouan

Comments (10)

• laurelin
    18 years ago

I have hens and chicks growing in the ground, and they survive even the worst winters just fine. I've never tried overwintering them in pots, though I suspect that they'd be fine, as long as they weren't allowed to totally dry out. Being succulents, they can handle a significant amount of drought, but being dessicated for 5 months might try even their hardiness.

Laurelin

• rouan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Laurelin,

I'll pass the information on along to her. She said she hadn't had much luck with them before, and they're doing wonderfully in the planter.

rouan

• kareen
    18 years ago

I would take them out of the strawberry pot as I don't think the pot will last long in our winters. Either put them in the ground for the winter or put them in a pot you would get plants in from the garden center and then sink the pot with the hens and chicks in it right in the ground so the top of the pot is even with the soil level. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• breenthumb
    18 years ago

My friend has them growing in a small plastic strawberry jar and leaves them outside under a small foundation bush next to her house all winter. They are doing great. I wouldnt take a chance with clay or ceramic though, even in garage. Garage also leaves the problem of watering--if, when, how much?

I've had the same dilemma and it stopped me from planting up my clay S. jars. Its so hard to dismantle a nicely growing one and overwinter in the ground.Think the previous posters gave good advice. Sandy

• rouan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! I've passed the link to this website along to her. I'm very sure she'll appreciate the advice from all of you.

• hammerl
    18 years ago

Strawberry pots can be pretty hardy. I forgot mine outside last winter, it's fine. The pink panda strawberries migrated right out of it for the most part this spring, but the pot was fine. But the hens and chicks probably stand a better chance of overwintering in the ground.

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

My mother stores hers in the unheated garage. She checks them once or twice during the winter to see if they need a little water.

• gail14054
    18 years ago

My hens & chicks are by the front porch that gets dumped on by the snow every year. They survive without any problems.

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

my hens and chicks have been in the same planter for 3 years now. I don't bring them inside and they do just fine. amazingly hardy.

• petuniamel
    16 years ago

I had three different hens and chicks on my patio in small pots last year. They loved it out there (east side) but I brought them in for the winter. I can't believe I did this but I killed all three. I think maybe they got too dry because I was worried about watering them too much. They looked really cute in my kitchen until I killed them! I have some new ones for this year's patio but maybe I'll put them in the ground for the winter.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz