Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mouse182

blight

mouse182
14 years ago

I was wondering if anyone else in the Upstate New York region particularly around Binghamton, NY has had the unfortunate tomato blight affect their gardens this year, 2009. I was growing some box car willie tomatoes in my home garden and at first they appeared to grow very nicely and then as the green fruit began growing more and more I noticed the disease was spreading and eventually it reached the tomatoes. I wound up losing all of those to the tomato blight. I do have a few plum tomatoes that I had bought at the Home Depot and so far they are growing nicely. I was able to harvest three so far. My green peppers, celery, lettuce, zuchinni, cucumbers and sunflowers are all doing very well.

Comments (6)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I haven't had problems with late blight, but early blight has affected most of my tomato plants. Fortunately most plants had set fruit before getting hit. I'm still getting a good crop of tomatoes. However, I'll be yanking out these plants and putting them on the burn pile once these tomatoes are ripened.

• sewobsessed
    14 years ago

It has been an aweful tom year.
    LB has been reported almost everywhere in NY. Here's the latest list of counties that have been *confirmed* infected by Cornell University as of July 15:

New York Counties with late blight reports: (Please note that this list only reflects counties from which samples have been submitted to the Cornell diagnostic lab or have reported on the late blight listserv. Late blight may be present in additional counties)

Albany

Cattaraugus

Chenango

Clinton

Columbia

Cortland

Dutchess

Erie

Essex

Franklin

Fulton

Genesee

Jefferson

Lewis

Livingston

Monroe

Nassau

Niagara

Oneida

Onondaga

Ontario

Orange

Oswego

Orleans

Otsego

Putnam

Rensselear

Saratoga

Schenectady

St. Lawrence

Steuben

Suffolk

Tioga

Tompkins

Ulster

Warren

Washington

Wayne

Westchester

Wyoming

Here is a link that might be useful: Weekly Late Blight Update

• daisydawnny
    14 years ago

I am in Chemung county and my tom's have been hit by late blight, several friend too. It's so frustrating.

• katmatney
    14 years ago

I live in Saratoga County and have had to pull my tomatoes that have blight. I spoke with our master gardener from Cornell Cooperative Ext. He said that it is airborn, can travel up to 2 miles. He stated to pull them careful not to shake and release the spores. Bag them up in black garbage bags, bake in the sun for 5 dys then dispose of.
    I grew most of mine from seed and bought a few from our local hometown nursery. Boy was I upset, no fresh tomatoes. Good luck everyone, it seems to be bad.

• Dottie B.
    14 years ago

Mine are being affected also. I had to pull two plants last night and have one left I am trying to save. The fruit is starting to ripen on this one and the fruit has not been affected so far, which is the main reason why I am trying to save it. I can't seem to cut the bad foliage off fast enough. Ugh!

• luvahydrangea
    14 years ago

I've had it but I'm in Albany. I had to destroy half my plants. I also ended up with moldy dead zucchini and cucumber plants which were in close proximity. Not sure if they are realated, but its all due to the rain we had in July. This is the second year in a row I've had tomato woes, albeit my first experience with LB.