Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joelsm_gw

morning glories

joelsm
13 years ago

I live in an apartment in Fairport, NY-zone 5 (I think).

My Morning Glories are just budding now in their respective containers. I am aware that I should not fertilize the plants due to over-abundance of too many leaves-not buds. Anyways, the buds are slow-growing. Any suggestions to hurry up the budding- what kind of fertilizer? Or, just let them go?

Comments (3)

• penny1947
    13 years ago

morning glories usually do best in very lean soil and they tend to be later than other annueals. I am not sure if there is a way to get them to open sooner or not but my suggestion for next year would be to try Cardinal climber instead of morning gloies. They are in the same family and bloom sooner but the flowers are much much smaller.

Penny

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

I live in zone 5a, upstate NY. Our Morning Glories made a lot of leaves and started blooming only a week ago. They are in midday sun, climb on a metal fence and get regularly watered. I probably gave them a few 5-10-5 fertilizer pellets, that's why all the leaves.

• rosalinda_gw
    13 years ago

I accidentally grew some morning glories indoors one winter. I was surprised that they grew well and actually flowered on and off all winter. They are actually a perennial in warmer climates, so though I haven't tried it yet, I have thought of growing some indoors and planting them outside once the weather warms in the spring - maybe get earlier flowers? Since they are related to sweet potatoes, I also wonder if they would form some kind of fleshy root/tuber if I grew them in a pot all summer and overwintered them indoors. Might try it some year.

-Rosalinda

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company