Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candyd_gw

Help with Identification

CandyD
17 years ago

Can anyone identify this vine, flower for me. It appears to be very invasive. I have actually never seen it before this year. My son's cleared off the back hill, and then it seems to appear. It is climbing on plants, fences, anything it can find. Any help would be appreciated.

{{gwi:1328031}}

{{gwi:1328032}}

{{gwi:1328033}}

Comments (12)

• twocorgis
    17 years ago

It may be Chinese wisteria (Wisteria sinensis).

• CandyD
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I dont think that is it, but I think we are on the right track. My friend was here today, and I asked her, she thought it was kind of Wisteria. The flowers are much shorter than the Chinese Wisteria, and more compact. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Not really the right color but maybe snail vine?

• CandyD
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think you solved the puzzle. I looked up snail vine, and it sure looks like it is it. Thanks so much. Now that I have read about it, I dont think I will mind it too much.

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

It's very beautiful. The only thing is, it's not hardy around here so I'm not sure where it came from. Maybe it will reseed itself for you. I have some corkscrew vine (very similar) growing in pots that I intend to try overwintering. We'll see... :)

• CandyD
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I dont know where it came from either. Like I said earlier, it just appeared. I just noticed it the other day. You know, I looked up your corkscrew vine, and wow, they are alot alike. I now am going to have to do some serious looking. To see if maybe, just maybe it may your corkscrew vine. Thanks!

• lilium_guy56
    17 years ago

What you have is VIGNA CARACALLA...."climbing shell". otherwise known as BLACK EYED PEAS. Variety I'm not sure. Also in that family is corkscrew vine. Comes in pink, white purple and mixes of those. It is NOT Snail vine. Snail vine is PHASEOLUS CARACALLA. The 2 are closely related. HOME DEPOT and walmart and like those mistake VIGNA for snail vine and sell them. Bad news is... 1)rated as a number 1 invasive plant. 2)grows to 75' long. 3)EXTREME SELF SEEDER 4)very hard to get rid of it and harder to kill, you may try "SEVEN" or BAYER. 5)not fussy as to where it grows. origin..china.
    the good news...NOT HARDY north of zone 8. It should die on its own over winter however it takes only a small section of root or 1 seed to survive winter to regrow next spring. I'd get some "seven" anyway. Clip the vine at the ground and the rest will die. Do not let it grow seeds (peas).
    How did it get there? Your neighbor had a backyard party with black-eyed-peas? Ducks came in from Dixieland? A neighbor bought one at Home Depot? You bought a different plant somewhere which had a seed from VIGNA in it? Something like that.
    Yes you can over winter it in the house.
    And if you let the darn thing go to seed outside you can eat the seeds. LOL
    Related to...black eyed peas, lima beans, cow beans, chic peas, sweat peas, etc.
    Sometimes they put these in birdfeeder seeds. But the flowers smell great. It is NOT wisteria nor snail vine.
    do a search for these....VIGNA CARACALLA what yu have........and PHASEOLUS CARACALLA not what you have. Like I said the 2 are very closely related.

• CandyD
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you very much for your help with the mystery. You are so right with the invasive part. Oh I am glad that it is not hardy up here in zone 4. Hopefully the winter will kill it this year. I will take your advise and try to get as much as I can this year out. Yes it is most certainly a pretty flower, and yes it smells very nice. But, it sure does not take very long to cover a hill and fence. Again, thank you for all the info on it, and letting me know exactly what it was.
    Candy

• legumefinder
    17 years ago

The plant in your pictures look like groundnut, Apios americana. This is a native plant that can grow rampantly in moist areas.

Dave.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I agree with Dave, that is is Groundnut and not VIGNA CARACALLA nor is it PHASEOLUS CARACALLA

Penny

• CandyD
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Penny and Dave. I think your both right on with this. The funny thing is it has never been in my yard before last year. I wonder if it will come every year now that it has found its way. The only thing is, none of the qualifications for growing this plant fits my yard (Wet meadows, streambanks, pond margins, moist woodlands). The only thing I can think of it was a pretty wet year, and that was the contributing factor. I guess time will tell.
    Thank you again,
    Candy

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Candy
    It could have been a 'gift' from a visiting bird and yes last year was very wet. I seldom had to water my plants. You would be amazed at some of the volunteers that have found their way into my yard. I have what I believe is a mimosa growing which I have never had since I moved to NY
    Penny

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6