Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT - Teeny little flies in the house

Posted by wantoretire_did z4 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 07 at 20:39

We are inundated with these little bitsy flies; they scamper fast and fly. I would say fruit flies, but fruit doesn't last around here. They are here and there, all through the house, including on my computer screen UUGGHHH. They aren't difficult to smash, but so annoying. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT - Teeny little flies in the house

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 27, 07 at 21:19

Hi,
Maybe they are Drain Flies aka Moth Flies.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Fly ID

o

How about fungus gnats? I used to have them because I kept the soil for houseplants moist. Once I started letting them go bone dry between waterings, the gnats went away.

o

I would also say that they are fungus gnats, i just started seeing them in my house too.

o

I tend to let my plants dry out.........I think I'll put them in the garage for awhile. Thanks for your input.

o

THis is a late reply but I have to agree with fungus gnats too. I have a problem sometimes in the winter with them b/c of all the plants I bring inside.

Penny

o

I am from Northern Lower Michigan. This small black fly problem is growing big time. Three years ago I started to notice the little critters all over in my house. (computer screen included) This was in the middle of the winter when I first noticed them. I threw all my house plants outside and did all the other things that I could find to do from the on-line forums. When I went to deer camp last fall (Nov 2007) I bombed the house with bug killer. Fruit files? I think not! We have always had fruit flies over the years and they always did their cycle in the fall. But these flies are a year round resident. I have checked all drains, garbage, beer cans, damp spots and don't have plants in the house anymore.
This is starting to become a big problem more people as I have seen from the internet from three years ago.

o

If they are fungus gnats,you can kill their offspring growing in houseplant soil by watering it with cooled chamomile tea. I use it on my orchids,and it seems to work.

Nancy

o

Seems more like either Fruit Flies or RMF's (Rotting Meat Flies). Many times small children take friut and meat and play with them like toys and forget where they left them in the house.
Children lose toys in the most unusual places - so they can lose meat and fruit in places you'd never look.
You are probably past the point where dogs would sniff out the meat - because the meat is pretty bad by now.
Dogs don't care about fruit.
Unfortunately, it's time to start looking everywhere you would not expect.
Good luck !!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here