Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
husky004_

Tara's Plant Swap-Name that Plant!!!

husky004_
17 years ago

Ok was out cleaning up the garden today, I've been eyeing up a plant that I figured was a weed but i was giving it a chance, well no more, was gonna deep six that sucker to the compost heap. I slowly reached in to the bottom of the plant so i could get it roots and all and oopsy there was a plant marker. Pulled the marker out and it was almost faded kinda nada if you know what i mean. But wait! I can see some letters, yep there are some letters! Ok group who the hell traded me a plant with the last three letters UCE and what is it??? It's fairly tall multi-branched thin leaves all up the stem but no flowers yet. Come on help me out. Best I could come up with was Blue Spruce but I know that's not it.

Comments (12)

• party_music50
    17 years ago

Could be "Lettuce". lol! or something that is 'Puce' in color. lol! (jk :)

• husky004_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

party music-way toooooo tall for lettuce...im waiting for my swap friends to help me out on this one lol.

• faltered
    17 years ago

I don't think it's lettuce. From what I remember, I was the only person who brought lettuce and mine were only marked on the pots, not with plant stakes. So that's out.

I don't have any other ideas. Hope you figure it out Kathy!

Tracy

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Kathy,
    I don't know. There aren't many words ending in uce. Maybe one of the letters is actually another one.
    From you're plant description though, it sounds like you are describing an Aster or maybe Caryopteris. Those are the only two fall bloomers I can think of at the moment that fit your description.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Words ending in UCE

• husky004_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well thanks guys you've been a big help lol and those 36 words Remy well i can't thank you enough, ok i'll wait for it to bloom and see what happens...so much for my flowering experts!!!!!! And Remy Im sending you the damn metal blind plant stake and you can see if it's another letter lol. Oh by the way it hasn't been a good day!

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

I took some STATICE, with a white metal-blind marker.

Here's a photo

Here is a link that might be useful: white statice

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

LOL! Do I look like an archeologist?
    Statice sounds like a winner though.
    And I hope today is a better day: )
    Remy

• husky004_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Today is a better day but that marker still says UCE, and no it isn't statice cause that ends in ICE and it doesn't look like statice. So with Remy's help(36 words that end with UCE and no im not that bright to use em all) i think i can introduce and also deduce that it isn't lettuce or applesauce or a spruce, hope it doesn't overproduce but if it does i may reintroduce it at next's years swap or just sell it as produce, or maybe even superinduce it but it could maybe even overproduce then i'd have to call a truce. Think I'll just call a truce. I was trying to fit in seduce and oversauce but nawwwwwwwwwww! Thanks so much gardenfriends!

• hammerl
    17 years ago

Could you post a photo of the plant and its -uce tag? It might help... I missed this year's swap, so I don't know what was offered, and I certainly didn't bring it. Are you sure it's not -um or -us or -ula? There's definitely no other letter on the end like an r ( like in saucer)? It isn't part of a care description or something, definitely a name? It's definitely -uce, not -ice? I really can't think of any plants that end in uce other than the aforementioned lettuce and spruce.

• lilium_guy56
    17 years ago

I have the answer. I think. What you have is a bulb lily by the name of TON PUCE. Very nice flowers of pink with yellow and white brushes. Dig it up and see if it is a Lily bulb.

• magicman2u
    17 years ago

Ok now Husky I have a question for you??? I wasn't at the plant swap but Penny did bring some back for me. She brought me two Brugmansia cuttings...said it was from you. I am looking to find out what kind of Brug it is...any help?? As far as the name of your plant..I was thinking maybe Blue Fescue spelled wrong...I got one from the garden swap...but that wouldn't match your description!

• husky004_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

magicman...not sure what kind of brug you got, im terrible at labeling things, could be white, yellow or pink...i had so darn many, mostly whites but couldn't bear to just let em die...how are they doing...just remember fertilize, fertilize, fertilize...i use 1 tablespoon miracle grow and one tablespoon epsom salts to a gallon of water at least twice a week. Doesn't matter what color unless you are fussy the blooms are amazing and the scent at night is wonderful. I've given up on my UCE plant i'll wait till it blooms and figure it out from there.