Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID

Posted by Wantoretire_Did z4 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 05 at 22:08

I received this plant at the Scotia plant swap last year but have no idea of what it is. It has bloomed for many weeks and has attracted hummingbirds, a strange bee every day, and today, a beautiful butterfly. It is currently planted outside my "computer window" on the north side of the house. I'd like to have some more of this wonderful plant, if someone can ID it for me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID

• Posted by Matt_V Z5 central NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 13, 05 at 22:16

5 petals? Looks like Phlox...

o

• Posted by shimla 5 Upstate, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 9:16

Hi Carol! I got some of that 2 years ago at the exchange. I *believe* Helen brought it. It's a phlox and mine just started blooming a week or so ago. Mine's in part shade, I'll have to move it to fuller sun so I get a longer bloom time.

o

• Posted by Kareen z5 NY Renss.Co. (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 17:40

Looks like my phlox and I have more to share. Kareen

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

o

Shimla - Like I said, it is on the north side, so only got real sun for a few days but has been blooming for many weeks. The blossoms on the one on the south side, dark fuscia color, are gone, while the ones in the picture (north) are still attracting hummers, bees and butterflies, much to our delight.

Kareen - I'd love some more at next year's swap. Let's hope it will be cooler so we can all enjoy.

o

Hi, Carol:

I have white and pink phlox, as well as a type of goldenrod, which the previous owner must have planted, but then forgot about. It's growing beautifully way back in the bushes at the very, very back of my property. I dug some of each up last fall and moved them to one of my garden beds so I could enjoy them more. They are doing beautifully, plus they've started to multiply already. I could dig up some for you, if you'd like?

Just let me know, okay?

adkmountaingirl

o

adkmountaingirl - I'd love some more. They are still blooming in the shade and the hummers and bees are still partaking! I still have the LOTV as well. Let me know.

o

Hi, Carol:

I just sent you an e-mail message about this off-line. So please check your e-mai, okay?

Looking forward to seeing you again and to exchanging our "garden babies" ~ :)

adkmountaingirl

o

Dames Rocket?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here