Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The F word

Posted by gottagarden z5 western NY (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 27, 06 at 6:36

FROST! When do we usually get our first frost around here? (Rochester - Buffalo) A couple of years ago I missed the warning and lost all my coleus. They are so tender, I want to take cuttings before frost, but don't watch the news. So many tender perennials to get out of the ground, etc.

I have visitors coming for a couple of weeks, and typically I use the guest room for overwintering all my tender perennials and coleus cuttings, etc. But I'd rather wait until they are gone before I start stuffing this room with evidence of my plant addictions. (It gets crowded . . . .)

Suggestions? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The F word

GG we could well get a frost before your visitors arrive. It feels like we are going to have an early winter. After today our temsps are going to be in the 50's low 60's during the day. I have already started taking cuttings of my tender perennials so I don't have as many HUGE plants to take care of inside over the winter...just lots and lots of little ones.

Penny

o

• Posted by kareen z5 NY Renss.Co. (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 27, 06 at 10:20

My coleus are still out....first year I have had luck with them . Didn't like Kong ....didn't do much but I got a trailing one that is wonderful . Please tell me how you save yours and sorry to ambush your post about frost ....I say better safe than sorry ....get them in soon. Kareen

o

I've lost a choleus already .. maybe the storm that came through the Buffalo area Monday nite? The choleus looked great Monday, and looked like it was hit by frost (droopy & slimy)when I saw it yesterday. Very weird ... nothing else looks bad.

A friend that was at the house commented on it yesterday too.

o

coleus are always the first plants to be affected by any cold wind or rain for me. I love them and have the ideal growing spot for them but they just don't do well for me up here. I used to have awsome displays down south. As soon as it started to get cold I would just take cutting, root them in water and overwinter them inside until it warmed up enough to put them back out in the spring.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here