Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anne_marie_alb

Purple Hyacinth Bean Vine Picture

Anne_Marie_Alb
19 years ago

I tried it from seeds for the first time and just love it. It is basically done with blooming now, but the seed pods are so interesting that it does not matter. Next year I will plant pink cleomes in front. I have some malva zebrina on the side and they would go well in front as well..

{{gwi:1328386}}

I know Penny and Kareen are also growing it. Anyone else? Anyone eating the beans? I know they are edible. If so, how is it?

Just wanted to try if this picture would show up and for how long.

Here is if it does not.

Anne-Marie

Comments (15)

• lblack61
    19 years ago

I have seeds for it but I didn't plant them this year. It was between planting those and the cynoglossom (mystery rose)and the Hyacinth bean and the cynoglossom won the toss. I'm still waiting for the cyno to bloom!
    The Hyacinth Bean plant looks really pretty, with nice colors. If I can find the right place for them, I'll plant them next year. Birds like them, right?

• UllisGarden
    19 years ago

Anne Marie, that is so pretty, let me know if you want some noxius weeds LOL

• nancyd
    19 years ago

Noxious weed? I hope it's not! I love mine, but I've only been successful in one location - around my mailbox. It apparently does well only in full sun or else it just sort of sits there. At least that was my experience - or maybe it was just the weird weather this year.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Nancy, dont worry, Ulli was not saying it is a 'noxious weed'.. she was (I think) offering seeds in exchange.. and we all have noxious weeds to exchange.. don't we? I am not sure when to collect the seeds, but I'll let you know when I have some.
    Mine did very well in a sunny spot (from 10 a.m. to 5p.m.)along a neighbor's fence. I am planning to do the same thing next year, but this time I will plant some rose queen cleomes, malva zebrina in front... with a Husker's red penstemon in between. I have often noticed that some annuals don't do as well in the same spot the 2nd year, but this is really the only spot I have for it.

Anne-Marie

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Well I was on my way out the door when I decided to check in the forum before I left to go get some 4 inch pots at Menne's Nursery for some ROS that are going to new homes.

Anne Marie,
    I saw your post and the picture of your Hyacinth bean vine and I am green and purple with envy. Mine grew and grew but never flowered this year. I was so disappointed! My scarlet runner beans were a bit late taking off but at least I got a fair amount of flowers and beans from them. I am letting most of my scarlet runner beans go to seed this year as I want them to dry early so I will have plenty for next year and hopefully plenty to trade since it has been such a sunless wet summer.

The beans are ready when the pod dries and turns brown. I have never eaten the Hyacinth beans but last year we did eat the runner beans.

If anyone wants to exchange beans let me know as I am in the market for Hyacinth beans.

Penny

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Penny, Thank you for your info. Only a few of my pods have turned brown yet. I'll save mine for you if you seriously want them (I only have 2 plants). I just read that pods and beans do contain a certain amount of toxin that does evaporate if you cook them with no lid on. I may try, but I am not so fond of beans that I would want to take a chance. Pods are apparently safer when young and cook like green beans--Too late for this year as pods are now mature, but will try next year.

Sorry about your vines being so late blooming. Was probably due to the summer we have had... Never had much luck with sweet peas and runner beans!

Here is an interesting link:
    Hyacinth Beans from the Edible Landscape Forum --And speaking of edible plants, I have developed a taste for nasturtium leaves (taste like horseradish to me) and flowers, so I am trying new recipes.....

By the way, I know you are a hummingbird lover... This vine is supposed to attract them, but I seldom see hummingbirds around here. Too bad! Too urban, maybe?

Good luck next year with your vine,
    Anne-Marie

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Hi Anne Marie

Yes Hyacinth beans are good plants for hummers (that is why I grew them). Info I have always read concerining cooking the hyacinth beans is to cook them in two batches of water to remove the toxins. I don't even fool with cooking them. I also would leave the pods to grow and mature for seeds for the next year. Now with the scarlet runner beans I have cooked them but again you have to pick them when they are very young or they aren't that good. You can also cook the dried beans like you would any dry variety but I am not into dried beans so I save my dried pods for seed only. If you have an extra pod or two of the Hyacinth bean I would love to have them. I will be more than happy to send you a SASBE.

I still have one little hummer hanging on. I am going to really miss her when she is gone. Here is a picture of her at my little winter sown agastache that I took the other day.

{{gwi:1328387}}

Penny

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Great picture, Penny.. Do you think hummers stay away from urban areas? and I love that agastache: "apricot sunrise", right? I also saw it at Mikee2's garden. It is on my 'must have list' for next year. If you have seeds for it, let's exchange hyacinth beans for agastache! How about that?
    Anne-Marie

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Don't know if I will get any seed off this plant this year as the day before yesterday my DD (Darn Dog) took off after a squirrel and plowed right into it breaking the whole top off at the crown. I am trying to salvage it now. I have another growing on the other side of the house that I am going to try to get some seed from. I will let you know how it goes.

I hear people all the time say that they have hummers in very busy urban areas. I think the trick is persistance and at least one feeder to help attract them especially early in the spring. In spring I use a large hour glass shaped bottle feeder that has a bright red top and base with very large gloxinia type red flowers (perky pet brand). Once the hummers are here I usually retire that feeder as it also attracts bees because it drips then I hang my saucer feeders which don't drip and the bees aren't interested in. I started out when we moved into this house 5 years ago with one feeder very few plants and determination. That summer I had my first hummer. Each year they have increased slightly. THis was my best summer ever and actually had two hummers share the same feeder at the same time although very briefly. I also had my first hummer arrive a month earlier than past years. So I feel really blessed this year.

Penny

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Don't worry about seeds, Penny. I know Thompson & Morgan carries that agastache 'apricot sprite'.

I am glad to hear that hummers don't stay away from urban settings--and I have seen one occasionally. I'll have to get a feeder for spring (you were nice to alert us to the hummers'return last spring!). Since we have 2 cats that go outside we never went out of our ways to attract birds, but in fact our furry friends are too old to pay attention to birds. So it would be a good time.

Anyway, I'll let you know when my hyacinth bean pods are ready for seeds.

Enjoy your dry (I think) weekend,
    Anne-Marie

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Anne Marie
    I checked my other apricot sprite about 30 minutes ago and looks like it may be going to seed. Since this will be the first time collecting it I wanted to make sure it is dry enough before I start collecting. Boy those calyxes are tiny! I am sure I will be able to get plenty of seed for you.

Penny

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wonderful, Penny! Thank you. I'll let you know when my seeds are ready. At least these are not tiny.... Haha!
    Anne-Marie

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Good! I just finished collecting cleome seed, and nicotiana sylvestris seed and Amaranthus seed...all tiny in fact the nicotiana I am sure you know. is like dust!

Penny

• cindilou57
    18 years ago

I am looking for some seeds to the hyacinth bean vine. I have some money plant seeds I would like to trade for them...Please submit.
    Cindi Lou

• jean_mdc
    18 years ago

I was just at our garden club meeting last night and our speaker talked about the purple hyacinth. Does it need full sun? What a beautifuk plant! Maybe I can do some trading with Kareen if she has any extra.

Jean

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living