Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammerl

wind damage?

hammerl
18 years ago

Well, the storm that rolled through last night snapped my tall cosmos plants in half -- guess I'll break out lots of vases. (Ironically, I was talking last night about throwing a few mums in the bed for fall color down low... guess I'll just pull the cosmos and insert a few now.) Have to see if the dahlias, cannas, and kiss me over the garden gate survived, and other things that have a little height.

We also saw some very large branches from the neighbor's weeping willow tree hit our yard, and a few branches from some scrubby trees that I still think may be black willow that are in our yard. (Oh, if we only owned a chainsaw!)

Anyone else run into any problems?

Comments (6)

• gail14054
    18 years ago

I haven't really gone outside and checked yet, but we had 1 fairly small branch blow off of the Maple Tree in the front yard. Everything else looks pretty good, so far anyway. I'll have to check more thoroughly later in the afternoon.

• cats39
    18 years ago

Hi Hammerl and All!

Yes,it appears all of us Upstater's got hit somewhat. I live just outside of Syracuse and the winds were actualy stronger at 03:00 AM than the cold front winds that came through around 08:30 or so.

In fact we lost our power momentarily around 03:00 AM and the winds kept me up the rest of the morning. I have a great deal of respect for wind since our Labor Storm when they were clocked at 105 mph and took out an estimated 33,000 trees doing a great deal of damage in the Syracuse area. Whew!

I'm glad it's the end of Sept rather than the middle of August as my tall Dahlias took a "big hit". I have Arabian Nights, Lilac Bull, Contraste, Mystery Day and a couple others tall plants that I can't identify.

We may have some frost tonight anyway from what they say so that will put an end to a lot of things, if it happens.

Maybe you can help me out with this question. If we "don't" get a frost, its going to warm again, at least through next week, and if you can remember last year cold weather never came until well into Nov.

My question is this? If I cut back the damaged plants will it hurt the tubers if they were to stay in the ground for a few more weeks?

I've only done dahlias for the past 3 yeras and these are new experiences.

If your able to answer, thanks a mil in advance.

Jim

• faltered
    18 years ago

My zinnias and cosmos toppled over. Actually, they uprooted from a combination of the wind and rain. I need the cosmos to hang on for another week because I'm waiting for their seeds. So I tried to replant them in hopes that they'll hang on a bit longer.

Had lots of fallen branches, too. But no major damage.

Tracy

• hammerl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

More than half my cosmos were goners, so I made bouquets before they wilted. One for home, and one for a co-worker. I found one of the dahlias had broken off, though, despite two stakes, and since it was the prolific bloomer I was a bit upset. We also have enough willow branches to encircle the house a bunch of times, but no other damage. Guess I should be thankful, though I kind of wish the whole darned willow tree had come down. :) Preferably not on my house.

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

We were lucky and just had some minor sticks and branches in the yard. The dahlias did great due to the tomato cages I used this year. I am amazed the sunflowers are still standing, but their stalks are HUGE, so maybe that is why. I planted seeds that were simply called "Giant Sunflower" and they weren't kidding. They were over 6' tall before the heavy flower heads made them curl downward. Anyway, some of the trellises and plants were leaning a little to one side, but all were easy to upright.

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

Jim, go ahead and cut back your dahlias and leave them in the ground for a little while, it won't hurt them as long as they have great drainage. Don't leave them in too long, though, as the ground will freeze.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!