Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
daffodils

Posted by Victory_tea2085 z6 Ny (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 05 at 11:50

I'd like to order some daffodils, real soon, to plant in October. Anyone have any favorite varieties and where did you get them? Any help greatly appreciated. Paul F B

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: daffodils

I highly recommend www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com They have a great site, their bulbs are excellent quality, and they are very professional and helpful. There may be cheaper bulbs, but anything I have ordered from them has performed extremely well. My favorite daffodils are the Poeticus type and they have a stunning double named Tahiti. I saw both of these on a visit to Longwood Gardens and asked a staffer what they were called. He recommended Brent and Becky's. I ordered them, along with many other daffodils, and got fantastic results. Unfortunately, I left behind my fabulous bulbs when I moved last January. Last night I placed an order with them so I can get my new yard properly embelished next spring.
Nancy

o

HI, Paul, The best prices and verity I found in Home depot,

o

Hi Paul!

I second the recommendation for Brent and Becky's, especially for unusual/rare bulbs. If you want something you see at a box store, just make sure the bulbs are big and firm - I've gotten many more common varieties that way, and enjoyed them all. But there are some really unusual/old-fashioned/rare ones you'll never see at a box store, and B&B's is a GREAT source for those.

My favorite is Narcissus poeticus recurvus (the poet's daffodil, late blooming and fragrant), but I also love 'Geranium' (earlier blooming, orange cup and white petals) and 'Minnow' (tiny, cute, and reliable). There are SO MANY to choose from - don't go into bulb overload!

Laurel

o

I get most of my bulbs from Brecks and Dutch Gardens. I also just bought some from Bluestone Perennials for the first time and they seem to be very high quality as well. Brecks and Dutch Gardens always seem to have a $25 off coupon going on and that's when I buy them....I usually buy the larger mixed packs of daffies for naturalizing. I have been extremely pleased with them over the last few years. I'm not sure where you are, but the Country Max store I visited had a good selection of bulbs as well. It's similar to Tractor Supply. Of course, I had to buy some. I'm planting a total of 430 blubs this Fall and can't wait for Spring next year.

o

Thanks everyone! I ordered pink Large Cupped Narcissus Mon Cherie from John Scheeper's. It was a special and came with some tulips-- Salmon Parrot. I appreciate everyone's input. Paul F B

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here