Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victory_tea2085

daffodils

victory_tea2085
18 years ago

I'd like to order some daffodils, real soon, to plant in October. Anyone have any favorite varieties and where did you get them? Any help greatly appreciated. Paul F B

Comments (5)

• mudlady_gw
    18 years ago

I highly recommend www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com They have a great site, their bulbs are excellent quality, and they are very professional and helpful. There may be cheaper bulbs, but anything I have ordered from them has performed extremely well. My favorite daffodils are the Poeticus type and they have a stunning double named Tahiti. I saw both of these on a visit to Longwood Gardens and asked a staffer what they were called. He recommended Brent and Becky's. I ordered them, along with many other daffodils, and got fantastic results. Unfortunately, I left behind my fabulous bulbs when I moved last January. Last night I placed an order with them so I can get my new yard properly embelished next spring.
    Nancy

• hklimsa
    18 years ago

HI, Paul, The best prices and verity I found in Home depot,

• laurelin
    18 years ago

Hi Paul!

I second the recommendation for Brent and Becky's, especially for unusual/rare bulbs. If you want something you see at a box store, just make sure the bulbs are big and firm - I've gotten many more common varieties that way, and enjoyed them all. But there are some really unusual/old-fashioned/rare ones you'll never see at a box store, and B&B's is a GREAT source for those.

My favorite is Narcissus poeticus recurvus (the poet's daffodil, late blooming and fragrant), but I also love 'Geranium' (earlier blooming, orange cup and white petals) and 'Minnow' (tiny, cute, and reliable). There are SO MANY to choose from - don't go into bulb overload!

Laurel

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

I get most of my bulbs from Brecks and Dutch Gardens. I also just bought some from Bluestone Perennials for the first time and they seem to be very high quality as well. Brecks and Dutch Gardens always seem to have a $25 off coupon going on and that's when I buy them....I usually buy the larger mixed packs of daffies for naturalizing. I have been extremely pleased with them over the last few years. I'm not sure where you are, but the Country Max store I visited had a good selection of bulbs as well. It's similar to Tractor Supply. Of course, I had to buy some. I'm planting a total of 430 blubs this Fall and can't wait for Spring next year.

• victory_tea2085
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone! I ordered pink Large Cupped Narcissus Mon Cherie from John Scheeper's. It was a special and came with some tulips-- Salmon Parrot. I appreciate everyone's input. Paul F B

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus