Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

How's everybody doing in Upstate right now?

I for 1, can't wait till mid-oct. I am having a bunch of mulch brought in and will be converting my whole side yard to flower beds. I have been getting my garlic bed ready for planting too. This is my first year with garlic and I'm planting 7 varities. Will post before and after pic's when I get the mulch inplace. I am half way done with doing a trench border and will lay down 2 layers of carboard and top off with about 6 inches of mulch. I'm gonna go from a huge patch of lawn to a huge patch of mulch. Should give me ton's of space for my WS babies next summer.

melissa

Comments (6)

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

I love to hear about everyones projects, it inspires me so. I am winding down a GREAT gardening year. I WS'ed last year for the first time. Biggest problem with that was finding room for the babies. But it did give me a great harvest. I've been canning and freezing and the house has been filled with fresh flowers.

I haven't made any future gardening plans yet ( I'm sure I will ) except that I plan to WS again.

You did remind me to pick up garlic from a local farmer. Last year I decided almost to late to plant gaelic and had to buy garlic for seed at the grocery store, What are the 7 kinds that you are planting?

kim

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have Siberian, Lorz Italian, Chesnok Red, Red Toch, Zemo, Pink Music, and Georgain Crystal. If I like growing garlic, I will add a few more next year.

Melissa

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

Did you order, trade or buy garlic locally?

kim

Original Author
    15 years ago

I bought them off Ebay from 2 different sellers. Both sent very nice garlic and also sent extra.

Melissa

Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I finally finished mulching the side gardens. I bought almost 5 yards of mulch and still needed about 3 more yards to finish. I just ended up using dried leaves from my maples instead for the rest. I think I might even try to get back out there and try to mix up the leaves and mulch so it doesn't look so weird with mostly being mulch than just leaves. I'm very happy with how this year ended up and can't wait for next summer. I'm still undecided on if I should do birdhouse gourds or MG on the fence next year until the Clematis fill out (keeping them trimmed next year to concitrate on root growth). Hopefully my garlic comes up in the spring too. I had I think moles get into the bed and tunnel through it. I can see holes through the straw on top. I do plan on doing an early fall treatment of Milky Spore in 09 also. My yard is infested with JB grubs. I'm hoping in a few years I won't have to worry about the roots on my grass or other plants. When we rake in fall for leaves you wouldn't believe the amount of grass we pull up too. We'll see what next year brings :)

Melissa

new flower beds

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

Well I am finally winding down. I did plant 2.5 lbs of garlic. I had to stick twigs in the ground to keep the ferrel cats out. I cleaned up the woodland garden and extended the trail a little more. I have pulled bags of garlic mustard out. I planted 200 bulbs mostly daffodills but some tulip. I cleaned the birdfeeders , filled and hung in new locations. Pulled all the plastic pots that got lost in the garden. Mulched the strawberries and aspeargus with straw and the roses with leaves.

Melissa, Just my 2 cents, I have morning glory on a fence and it's been out of control. It reseeds like crazy and I can't keep up with pulling out the seedings. They have even popped up in other beds now. I missed one in the rose bed. It wasn't a pretty sight. Might I suggest something like scarlet runner bean.

kim

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz