Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilylouise_gw

Brugs, daturas and egg plants-oh my

lilylouise
17 years ago

Mulchy and Husky,

Just wanted to say thanks for the double purple datura and the ornamental egg plant Mulchy. Both have been beautiful and healthy. The Brug has yet to show its true color yet but has plenty of blooms about to open Husky.

Did anybody have any luck with those heirloom tomatoes? They were a huge disapppointment here. The black russian and genovese were watery and tasteless. The brandywine has yet to ripen any of the few fruits on it. I think my tomato bed needs a huge overhall-maybe a complete change of venue.

lil

Comments (15)

• von1
    17 years ago

We had one called Rose that was very sweet and not to seedy. The purple and the green/yellow striped fruits haven't ripened yet. Got these at the farmers market this Spring, but the name tags didn't remain legible.We figured out from Johnny's seed cat. what the rose one was.
    Von

• lucy925
    17 years ago

Hi Ruth, My black russian tomatoes were huge, very meaty but medium flavorful. I mixed them with cherry tomatoes in a recipe from Sept. BHG- easy tomatoe sauce. The russians gave it the chucky texture. It was yummy
    21/4 lbs tomatoes
    2tbsp olive oil
    1/2 cup finely chopped onions
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1/4 snipped basil
    3/4 salt
    They called for 1Tbsp ancho chile powder- that and onion I left out.

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Sorry to hear you had a bad tomato year! Don't quote me but I think I've read about the Genovese one being low on taste. Brandywine is notorious for low/no fruit. I won't grow it any more. I don't care how good the tomato is suppose to taste!
    I do have Stump of the World seeds drying right now and I would be happy to send some your way. I've grown a lot of tomato varieties in the past few years. This is the best growing and tasting tomato I've grown so far. Prudens Purple is another favorite, but I don't have extra seeds saved for that one.
    I took home a Cleome from Mulchy. It doesn't look like the regular Cleome I often see, so that was neat! I missed the ornametal eggplant. That does sound interesting.
    I've got a gigantic Brug from 3 years ago from Husky. It still hasn't bloomed for me! Ok, last year it was abused a bit, too small a pot, then it got attacked in a hail storm, but this year it has been loved, lol. This fall Gary is going to say, "You want me to drag that thing in again?" I keep promising spectacular blooms : )
    Remy

• lilylouise
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Lucy,

You remembered that I'm really Ruth, Yay. I was cooking up some tomatoes I got at the farmers market for sauce and used your recipe since it was right there. we shall see how it turns out. I meant to say in my original post that the spurge I got from you/your sis is just fine as is the northern sea oats from Tim (?). Everything I brought back from the swap has just been terrific. I'm gonna have to come with some special winter sowed seedlings for next year--I hope, hope, hope, there is a next year.
    Lil, Ruth

• lucy925
    17 years ago

Let me know how your sauce turns out Ruth. I hope there is a next year too! I brought in 4 spaghetti squash's today from my garden. I had saved the seeds from last year, and will save this years to bring. Their must be at least 10 more spaghetti squash out in the garden, along with acorn. Now if the dogs will just stay off the vines I may even get butternut.
    I made zucchini bread today. A few days ago had not seen any zucchini- today l huge and 1 small one. My sister in conesius said her veggie garden wasn't to good this year but mine has gone wild (along with the weeds) luck of the draw I guess.
    Lucy/Linda

• mulchy
    17 years ago

Hi Ruth,
    Glad you are enjoying your eggplant and datura. I gave my sister-in-law one of the eggplants, its huge and has about 22 eggs on it...They are fun to grow... We have some good tomatoes, I think the jettsetters have produced the best, have canned 74 quarts so far, will do more because I'm doing some for my daughter, I started them from seed. Also started some spaghetti squash from seed, they are producing real good. Have not cooked any yet. There are so many things to do, but not enough time!!! We have a squash growing out of our compost pile that looks like a spider, haven't tried any yet , looks like a pum. but not as round. grew them last year and they made the best pies!!! There must be 20 of them...
    I got a brug from Huskie also, is growing great, but no blooms yet, maybe next year if I can overwinter it.

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

I've been enjoying swap flowers and veggies, I should do a separate post to show pictures.

My experience with the tomatoes is the same as everyone else - Genovese were abundant, but not that tasty. Grape and Jetsetter are doing wonderfully. Brandywine and Black Russian taste great, but are not producing much.

My kids love the "egg"plant and want to pick them all the time.

Here are pictures from MULCHY's garden. I was over there last week and admiring all her gorgeous flowers, she has a fabulous garden.

Here is her "squash spider"

MULCHY's beautiful gardens

• faltered
    17 years ago

Gorgeous pics Brenda! Mulchy's garden looks wonderful.

I've had one tomato so far, but quite a few are about ready to pick. If they're not as flavorful as they usually are, it'll be hard for us to tell. We get stuck with store-bought tomatoes that are always watery. Anything home grown tastes amazing.

Tracy

• lucy925
    17 years ago

Love the pictures. Very impressive gardens. What a great place to live and enjoy!

• lilylouise
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lucy the sauce was/is wonderful! we'll have a second meal tonight. Mulchy the egg plant here also has about 20 eggs. Excuse my ignorance but what can I do with them? Your garden is wonderful! I'm insanely jealous of the space and your expertise. Tracy, the Walkers Low is wonderful and has 'done good'.
    Husky, I'm absolutely sure this Brug is gonna bloom this week. Then I'll have to figure out how to take cuttings!
    Lil

• mulchy
    17 years ago

Thanks Brenda for posting the pictures, I'm not computer wize to know how to do it myself!!!
    Ruth- there is nothing you can do with the eggs except maybe dry some and start some from seed next year!! Had a busy day, made 18 pints of salsa and 12 pints of chili sauce. Those tomato plants just keep producing. Would have rather been out planting my mums and doing some mulching. Oh well maybe tomorrow. Thanks for the comments on my gardens!! Hope the weather gets better and we have a great fall!!!

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

What beautiful photos of Mulchy's garden! I wish I had lots of space.
    Remy

• husky004_
    17 years ago

Mulchy the eggplant is very cool, bring some next year again. My brandywine's were sparse but very tasty, I still have great luck with the "Big Mama's" from Burpee huge plum tomatoes, great for eating and sauce and good keepers also...Remy you gotta feed that brug for it to bloom or repot it up, im still overrun with them and hate to toss them this year but holy moly i got lots, so they are here for any takers for overwintering...and yes i have lots of blooms on them...been a good year for the hummers thanks to tips from Penny but a disappointing overall year in general for the garden...not a great summer as far as Im concerned...will hunker down for the fall and winter and plan for next year as always...just like the Buffalo Bills...Wait till next year lol.

• kareen
    17 years ago

Thanks for posting the photos , those gardens are beautiful Mulchy and I love that the old style clothes line is right out there.
    As far as the brugs, if I remember correctly I was told they won't bloom until the trunk has a V shape. Kareen

• husky004_
    17 years ago

Kareen, you are right brugs need to "Y" i've got buds all over just waiting patiently for them to be in full bloom.