Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

I need to part with my roses INEXPENSIVELY in spring

phylrae
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

My husband Gary and I have been growing about 75 roses pretty successfully for about ten years now. :0) I am really sad to admit that the older we are getting, the work involved in spraying for fungus, etc. is getting to be too much for us. I work fulltime all summer now too, so have less time to take care of them. We need to get rid of most of them and replace with either grass or easy-care perennials, bulbs etc.

We may keep some of them, but will want to find homes for most of them in the spring....they have been beautiful and prolific...it is so hard for me to part with them!

I would like to ask for about $5 each or maybe sell them in groups of 5/$20 or so....or 10/$30....many of them were purchased at much higher prices, some are on multiflora rootstock (winter-hardy)from Pickering or Palatine nurseries (Canada), some are own-root (Roses Unlimited or Northland Rosarium), some are from David Austin Roses Unlimited or Jackson & Perkins, and some are from local nurseries.

If anyone is interested, please let me know. We have quite a few hybrid teas, floribundas, Austin English roses etc.

My husband and I are in Baldwinsville, just a stones' throw west of Syracuse!

Thanks everyone!

:0) Phyl

Comments (7)

• donnaz5
    14 years ago

hi Phyl...can you tell me where you are located? I understand you not wanting to post that kind of info..please e-mail me ...i'd like to talk to you about your roses. if you are close enough to me, this could work out...thanks, donna
    p.s. just click on "my page", then on "send me an e-mail"

• phylrae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donna,
    Sent you an email just now. :0) Phyl

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    14 years ago

OH Phyl, I am so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how hard this is for you.
    On the upside, if you don't have to spray as much, maybe your nutty neighber will stop making comments to you.

I would be happy come spring to buy some own root roses off of you depending on what they are.

LMK
    Melissa1977

• phylrae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Melissa....
    Remind me in the spring, and I'll let you know if I have any roses left to sell....I did keep about 30 roses, but may decide to give a few more up come spring.
    I'm surprised you remember that incident with our neighbor...it did really bother my husband for a long time, kinda took the wind out of his sails, so to speak. He hasn't kept up the spraying since that time like he used to....and has developed more interests (motorcycle, joined a gym)....so isn't wanting to spend so much time working in the gardens.
    :0) Phyl

• penny1947
    14 years ago

What has worked well for me when I had to get rid of some of my plants was putting a sign out in front of the house while I was home and people would stop by to get what they wanted.

Penny

• phylrae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to re-post here, but we sold all the ones we wanted to part with last fall very inexpensively. :0) Phyl

• phylrae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone.
    My husband and I have stopped spraying fungicides on our roses...which means that most of them are getting some blackspot. And of course, we're getting tired of the Japanese beetles. :0(
    We have decided to keep some, but garden with more perennials.

We live in Baldwinsville, just outside Syracuse.
    Are any of you interested in coming out to either buy some of them (maybe $7 each, or 4/$25 or all 8/$50?) or trade some of your more unusual perennials for them? I especially am interested in the newer echinaceas, phloxes etc.

Let me know if you're interested and I will tell you what we have.

Thanks!
    Phyl

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES