Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuckertdog

chigger bites from lawn??? Too OT??? Help!!!

tuckertdog
17 years ago

Hi,

A question for all those in the Southern Tier/ Binghamton area.

I'm about 7 miles north of Binghamton. I have gotten some big ole welts that itch like crazy, just like the chigger bites we suffered in Kansas as a kid. I only get these bites occasionally while mowing the lawn or carrying the grass clippings.

Searching for info, I found one site that claims chiggers are potentially everywhere but most contradict that, claiming there are no chiggers this far north. There's not a mention in this forum and someone in PA posted a similar complaint and was told there are no chiggers there and it must be something else.

I didn't think they were up north either until these evil bites. My yard backs up to a hay field. Anyone know what evil bugs up here cause such welts and itching besides chiggers? They are different bites from the "no-see-ems" and mosquitos that attack me daily and I have yet to see a bug at the bite sites.

Gee whiz, I thought hornets, yellow jackets, wasps, ants, slugs, grubs, voles and spiders were enough to contend with!

Comments (5)

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

I've never heard of chiggers here, the name alone sounds terrible! How about fleas? Do you have dogs?

Mosquitoes are the bitingest insect around here.

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

I have been having the same problem. I used to live down south, so I know what a chigger bite is like and these bites seem very similar. I don't remember ever having this problem before. Usually when I get a mosquito bite, it welts right away and turns a little red and they itch for a couple of days (moderately)...these bites are different...they do not welt (almost looks like a pimple), they aren't red, but they itch like crazy and nothing seems to help the itch. And they seem to itch for a week or more. And I never see them bite me, so I don't know exactly when or where I am getting them. I hope we can figure it out soon.... :(

• Carol_from_ny
    17 years ago

Skeeters in the Binghamton area have been awful...probably due in part to some of the water left standing from the recent flooding.
    What you are describing sounds alot like flea bites. Fleas live in grasses. Doesn't matter if you have pets or not. They get active when the weather starts to cool. They can travel in the cuffs of pants or on socks so watch that they don't travel inside.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

For the past two summers I have had blisters like the ones in the link below just below my ankle along the outside of my foot and occasionally on the bottom of my foot as I wear flip flops or sandals all summer. They have itched so bad I went to a doctor and the doctor couldn't figure out what it was. They gave me a topical ointment that did nothing for the itching. I know they have chiggers in OH. so if they have them there they possibly have chiggars here in NY. I don't think that flea bites will cause blisters below is a picture of what chigger bites look like.

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lustrosa7321
    6 years ago

I live in NW Washington and get these bites after mowing in tall grass. They seem to occur on my buttocks and cause great swollen itching bumps that last for over a week. Very curious, as this has only begun happening the last three years or so. Climate warming as southern creatures make their way north?

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia