Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

Zones are Zones BUT!

cats39
17 years ago

Hi All!

Coming from a home that had a front lawn as big as a postage stamp and being able to weed and seed in 10 minutes is now surely missed. My lawn area now has increased 10X10 fold and I'm really new to lawn care. I've been on the Lawn Forum searching as to when is the best time to reseed in and around Syracuse NY. Or a better question yet, since IÂve been somewhat lax because of the weather and it yet has to be done, IÂd like pose this twofold question to one of you close-by CNY UpstaterÂs, am I to late or how long do I have to reseed?

Using the Lawn Forum is great and I realize that Zone 5a in Des Moines Iowa or most of the State of Illinois is the same as ours but they donÂt have Lakes like Erie and Ontario that are just a couple of hours or a few miles away when it comes to contending weather, let alone sweating out tropical storms like Ernesto that creep up the east coast and end up in the back yards of Western or CNY.

So if any of you have time to let me know what you personally do it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Comments (6)

• celeste75
    17 years ago

I live out near Oneida and I would wait until next spring to reseed. It got down to 38 here the other night. Just my 2 cents worth....

• kareen
    17 years ago

Here in the Capital region the best time is from Sept-Oct. I can't imagine you would be that different but the best way to find out is to call your county Cornell Cooperative Extension office. Good luck.

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

I seeded some thin spots a couple of weeks ago...I am 30 miles north of Syracuse. If you have a bit of a micro-climate going on, you might be able to seed now, but it sounds like you are fairly new to the area where you are, so you may not know this yet. If it were me, I would use this time to spread a little compost over the area to help improve the soil and seed in the spring. The reason I say that is because I had some areas in my yard that just wouldn't grow grass very well....once I improved the soil, it was much easier to get the grass to grow.

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Here near BUffalo, Sept is the best time to seed your lawn. The ground is warm (even if the air is cold), and there are a lot less weed seeds blowing in than in the spring, so there is less competition for the grass. It can get established now to keep out the spring weeds.

• Carol_from_ny
    17 years ago

I like to reseed in the spring. I have tons of mature trees and tho I try hard to rake up all the leaves in the fall Mother Nature doesn't always allow that to happen so I always have a few bare spots in the spring.

Leaving the leaves lay as long as they aren't too thick gives them a chance to break down and feed the soil so when I do reseed the soil is a bit richer and my results seem better without having to much work.

• cats39
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi!

Thanks for the replies.

You've answered well. I'll wait 'til spring to re-seed.
    Ahhh! Six more months of procrastination :>)