Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to plant next to

Posted by pattybw 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 23, 06 at 17:01

Hi, new here.. from what I read so far this is a great forum. Stumbled on it while googling on canna phasion/tropicana.

We just added onto our deck to accomodate a new hot tub (being delivered in a week or so). I wanted to get the landscaping around this area done now (rather than in the spring when kids activities keep me running 24x7!). I'd like the area to have a semi-tropical/beachy feel so I purchased several types of ornamental grasses (miscanthus sarabande, verigated silver grass) and 3 canna phasions. ALso purchased rudebeckia, white swan echinacea, helenium & day lily. My question: what would work well with the cannas? Not sure where I'm going to put them yet, but planning to plant in mass for maximum effect. I've played around with the plants I've purchased so far but nothing is working :( What do you all have planted near your cannas? and/or what do you think works iwth them? In advance, Thanks! Patty (Rochester area)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to plant next to

My cannas are in the middle of my mixed border, which includes over a dozen different daylilies, shasta daisy 'Becky,' heliopsis 'Loraine Sunshine,' blue siberian irises, white peonies, several kinds of tall and intermediate bearded irises (at the dry end of the bed, not right next to the cannas). Mixed into that are some annuals (nasturiums, portulaca, annual phlox 'Isabellina,' lobelia, and fuchsia 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt.' I had another clump of cannas planted in the middle of my annuals bed, full of zinnias, sunflowers, and amaranth - it would have looked MUCH better if the rotten woodchucks hadn't devastated it. My cannas are a no-name from my sister's house when she lived in St. Louis - very tall, bronze leaves, small orange-red flowers.

Laurel

o
RE: what to plant next to

Laurel - Don't you dig up your cannas in the fall? Can they be stored in an unheated garage? No cellar.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here