Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Syracuse area roses to give away or trade for ? :0)

phylrae
16 years ago

Hi all....

My husband and I grow quite a few rose bushes....many different kinds. We want to add a few specific ones in the spring, namely Romanticas, but in order to do so, we need to give away a few as well. They are healthy and I don't have the heart to just throw them away! Planting them into your prepared gardens this fall would be good...we've done so very successfully in the fall.

We grow especially for bouquets...and these ones are good quality, with high ARS ratings, but either don't last long enough in the vase for me, or just don't "float my boat."

The ones with an * next to them are grafted onto multiflora rootstock....the best kind for winters like ours.

Bride's Dream* (fragrant light pink hybrid tea)

Just Joey (fragrant apricot hybrid tea)

Henry Nevard (fragrant dk. red hybrid perpetual-reblooms)

Lagerfeld* (fragrant lt. mauve grandiflora)

Heirloom (fragrant mauve hybrid tea)

Apricot Nectar *(fragrant apricot floribunda)

Margaret Merrill (fragrant white floribunda)

Anvil Sparks*(fragrant red/orange/yellow striped hybrid tea)

If you are interested, let me know, and we can make arrangements for you to come pick them up. If you have something to trade, great, but I will GIVE them away FREE with no hard feelings, if you don't! You'd want to plant them quickly afterwards though! I'm in Baldwinsville, just about 15 miles outside Syracuse.

:0) Phyl

Comments (19)

• sdpa
    16 years ago

Phyl:
    I'd love some roses!!! My gardens are still very young (2 years old). I do have some bachelor buttons and veronica spicatta that I can divide.
    I live in Syracue (near Dewitt). I have 1 rose bush that I bought 4 years ago from a nursery in F'ville (on the road to Caz) and while it does flower I've had a terrible time w/ white looking mildew and bugs eating the leaves. This fall I decided to pull that bush out and try it in a different location in our yard. Hope it works.
    Sara

• misskimmie
    16 years ago

You have Mail.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sara,
    For some reason I didn't get a response in my regular email, so didn't bother to check this forum til this morning!
    Are you interested in any specific one/ones? I asked Kim (above) the same...
    These roses you will most likely have to spray with a fungicide regularly to keep blackspot and mildew defoliating them. Some are very susceptible. We don't use pesticides, but have to continually hand pick the Japanese beetles to prevent them from destroying everything! We've had JBs since June 15!
    Let me know what you think-I will try to share these equally between you and Kim, assuming she's interested in some.
    Oh, BTW, I appreciate the offer on the bachelor buttons and veronica, but I'd only be interested in perennials that return every year...thanks though!

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    16 years ago

If you have any left after the 2 other people let me know. I live in the outskirts of Syracuse next to Dewitt and I would love to have some to add to my collection. I just went through and got rid of dying foliage, but I can still make out what's what in my garden and I have dwarf blanket flowers, various colors of foxglove, some hollyhocks that will flower for me next year, doubles and singles. That's about it right now that I can think of. I moved into my house 3 years ago and couldn't afford the prices of potted plants so I've been doing perennials by seeds. This was the first year for some of them to flower for me:)Also if you add to your rose garden often, let me know I order own root roses and down the road maybe we can trade cuttings.

Melissa F

• phylrae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sara, Kim and Melissa,

Kim was especially interested in these 3:

Anvil Sparks
    Apricot Nectar
    Just Joey

So, that leaves:

Bride's Dream
    Heirloom
    Henry Nevard
    Lagerfeld
    Margaret Merrill

Sara and Melissa, do you have preferences? I'm not sure how to have you pick and choose, except to say maybe Sara, would choose 2-3 and leave the others for Melissa? Just want to be nice to both of you! Just let me know...then I can ask my husband to help me dig them next weekend if that would be good for you (he happens to be "off" then, and isn't always off on weekends!)

Let me know! :0) Phyl

• sdpa
    16 years ago

Hi, Phyl!

I'd love:
    Henry Nevard (fragrant dk. red hybrid perpetual-reblooms)
    Lagerfeld* (fragrant lt. mauve grandiflora)
    Bride's Dream* (fragrant light pink hybrid tea)

(My grandma's names was Phyllis and she loved pink roses. In fact, when she died the new homeowners offered to let me take a cutting from her rose bush (pink climber) that my gram had planted 1 house and 55 years earlier). The cutting did not make it. I've often thought of going back to see the the bush is still there and I could somehow take some to grow here in NY).

Thanks, Phyl!

Sara

• phylrae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds good, Sara. Let me know if you have a weekend or certain time that is good for you to come pick them up....my husband is off next weekend, and if it isn't raining, it might be a good time for him to help me dig.
    :0)

How about you, Melissa? Would you like to have Heirloom and Margaret Merrill? Let me know when you decide!

16 years ago

Yes, I would love both, but I would really prefer to give you something in return. Did any of the perennials I have sound good? On next weekend, I work every weekend, day shift. Next weekend Saturday I have a dinner party at 6pm and Sunday I am volunteering. If your hubby can dig them out sat. What time could I come over? I get out at 3 and should be able to run right over after work and than get home to start cooking or on Sunday could come over later in the evening (volunteering until about 5:30pm).

• phylrae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Melissa,
    I think we could arrange that just fine (as long as it isn't pouring rain all day!) Saturday would be just fine...or Sunday. Tell you what, email me at GalwayGP@aol.com and I'll give you more info like my phone # etc. :0) Phyl

16 years ago

You have email.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sara and Kim,
    Email me if you'd like at GalwayGP@aol.com-
    and let me know when is best for you to come out to pick up your roses in the next month or so. Weekends are always preferable for me as long as it isn't raining, as I work fulltime M-F. Thanks! :0) Phyl

• sdpa
    16 years ago

Phyl:
    You have mail.
    Sara

• phylrae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sara, Melissa and Kim,
    I tried to email you all separately this morning...Sara, I have your phone # so will try to call you too.

It's Saturday morning, and like I mentioned in the emails, I feel pretty lousy (low grade fever, body aches). I thought a good night sleep would take care of everything, but I guess I was wrong! I rarely get sick, thank the Lord.

If I'm not doing better by tomorrow, I'll have to dig them this week and let you know when they're ready-next weekend at the latest, I'm sure.

Hope I haven't disappointed you too much. I'm around children all day (a Teaching Assistant in my school district) and I'm sure exposed to millions of germs. YUCK! :0( Write or email me at GalwayGP@aol.com.
    Thanks, Phyl

• sdpa
    15 years ago

Phyl:
    I hope you read this....
    All 3 of the roses I received from you have buds on them. One is open already (white petals w/ red on the tips) and the other (think it will be pink) is on the verge of opening. The third, no color poking thru on the buds yet, has a bit on a aphid problem - am working on that daily!
    I wrote down the names of the roses you gave me and now I cannot find the paper. Darn it!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know they are doing well.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, Sara, for letting me know! I'm not sure which ones I gave to you, but I know you originally wanted the first three, and then I gave someone (you?) the 4th one below:

Bride's Dream (light pink)
    Lagerfeld (light lavender)
    Henry Nevard (red hybrid perpetual)
    Cherry Parfait (white with red edges) * I think this was almost an afterthought, so if you remember me asking you if you'd like this, that might be the one you mentioned. I had 2 and only wanted one. It's a great rose, unfortunately no scent.

Bride's Dream is a nice light pink, and I DO remember that I WANTED to love Lagerfeld, but the Japanese beetles and thrips (causing brown edges) wouldn't leave him alone!
    And Henry Nevard-might have been because I got it from Wayside Gardens (not a very good nursery), but he never wanted to bloom much.

Anyway, have a great summer season!!
    :0)) Phyl

15 years ago

I'll pop in too with a report. I love the Margaret Merrill rose. It looks beautiful. The white is so bright against the darker green foliage. The other is doing ok. I had a hard time with rose slugs on that 1.

Melissa

• phylrae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad Margaret Merrill is doing well for you, Melissa! I can't remember what the other one was that I gave you...do you remember the name/know the color?

15 years ago

Phyl

It has small sized buds and it seems to be a reddish pink color, but that's going by un-opened flowers, the buds should start opening any day now. The bush is about 2-2 1/2ft tall. Lots of buds on it. I had emailed you awhile ago about what it was and you responded with Henry Nevard. Both of these bushes bounced back after putting them in just last fall. Even though the Margaret Merrill seems to be very hardy against pests and such, the other is about double the size. My husband was very surprised at how well they are doing, without any chemical spraying.

Phyl, what is your opinion on grafted roses from Jackson & Perkins and Park Seed company? Home Depot was having a 50% off sale on-line a week before Mother's Day, so my hubby let me pick out 5 roses. I was going for fragrance first than looks. When I go outside today, I'll write down what ones I got. I'm trying to get outside evry day I can since I still have so much to put in the ground :)

Melissa

• phylrae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    If you go to helpmefind.com, you can go to rose search, and type in the words Henry Nevard, and you'll see photos and info. I'm so glad they're working for you! Maybe Henry didn't like me :0( He was short and rarely bloomed!!!

We've purchased roses from Jackson and Perkins, never from Park Seed, although I thought I read somewhere that they are now "related." I may be wrong. Their roses are grafted on a rootstock (Dr. Huey) that isn't as winter-hardy as the rootstocks on the roses you'd buy from Pickering or Palatine Nurseries (both in Canada). They use multiflora rootstock. But if you plant their bud union at least 4 inches deep, and then mulch well, they should do fine....just make sure you throw about a foot of topsoil at their bases in the late fall, and don't feed them fertilizers, or give too much water after about Sept. 15. It helps get them ready to go dormant for the winter.

Oh, did you know that you can find out the reputations of different online vendors/nurseries by going to: Gardenwatchdog.com and typing in the name of the nursery? That way you can see the pros and cons, and avoid not-so-good ones. It has saved me some heartbreak and $!

Hope you fared ok with the storm today. Let me know when you find out what your hubby got you! Our oldest daughter surprised me with a rose sent from Jackson and Perkins for Mother's Day too! It was Dreams Come True. It's soaking in a bucket of Jumpstart/water and he's going to plant it for me tomorrow, as I just had some surgery and can't do any lifting for 6 weeks!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!