Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving upstate, bringing perennials

Posted by gratefulgary z6A NY (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 19, 06 at 18:26

We're moving from the Hudson Valley, 6A, to Delhi, 5A. And at an elevation of about 2300 ft. Delhi is around 1500 ft. We'll be moving the first week in November.

We intend on digging up and taking with us several perennials, including, but not limited to, sedum autumn joy, coreopsis, cone flower, shasta daisy, gaillardia. My question is, should we put them in the ground in a temporary area for the winter? Would they survive in the buckets we bring them up in? What if we left them in the buckets in the garage so the root balls don't freeze? If they are just root balls in buckets, why not?

Anyway, we need some guidance on how to keep the plants over the winter. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving upstate, bringing perennials

I would put them in the ground and mulch heavily. They'll be happier than in pots. Do you heat your garage? If pots are not frozen they will still need water in winter.

There are several posts on moving plants in the cottage gardens forums. Do a search and see what others have done.

o
RE: Moving upstate, bringing perennials

• Posted by kareen z5 NY Renss.Co. (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 8:09

Have you considered winter sowing from seeds you collect from these plants? Might make your initial move a lot easier and will certainly provide you with healthy plants for next year. Kareen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here