Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stinging Nettles?

Posted by riverinewny 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 11, 06 at 19:43

Has anyone spotted stinging nettle growing wild in WNY? Can you describe where?

I am looking to harvest a small amount.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stinging Nettles?

The only place I have seen them is in Allegany Park as I was hiking the Finger Lakes Trail. Man, talk about a few nasty stretches of trail!

o

i live in herkimer county and have tons of them. they are everywhere here. what do you want to do with them? if you want to travel a bit, i can give you all you want. donna

o

I was just at Tifft Nature Preserve in Buffalo. They had signs up warning about stinging nettle, saying where it was and they had photos so you could identify it. They were warning people, not featuring it. It seems they would be happy if there were a little less of it.

Here's their website:
http://www.sciencebuff.org/tifft_nature_preserve.php

Here is a link that might be useful: Tifft Nature Preserve

o

Thanks! I'd like to tincture it and dry some for tea--it's very nourishing.

o

I wish I had been able to read this earlier. I had it show up in my yard and didn't know what it was until I tried to pull it out...I learned immediately what it was. Thank God I also grow jewelweed as it took away the sting right away but my hand was numb for the rest of the day.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here