Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning a sea green juniper(junperius chinensis)

Posted by jerome69 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 27, 08 at 19:59

have 3 junipers that have gotten too large. they are the ones that have branches that come out like a fountain from the center of the plant.need advice on how to trim it without destroying the shape.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning a sea green juniper(junperius chinensis)

can you send pic here?

o

I prune such junipers by cutting ends of branches out, going back to the furthest-in branching, without eliminating all green branchlets. You have to do this early on, or the juniper gets too big.

I just chopped out a large (6-7 ft high) perhaps 25-year old Sea Green j., because it got too big, was no longer manageable with my method, and it was crowding out other dwarf conifers. It was producing too much shade in an area of my front yard. I had to do this too with a large 28 year old blue juniper.

This gave me an opportunity for new landscaping!

A nursery owner said, home-owners should replace conifers around every 20 years. That means you buy 2 -3 ft tall conifers, prune them as you remember, and after 20 years chop them off. The other option is to buy real dwarf conifers which are small (1 ft tall, i.e.) when installing and grow very slowly to the desired size (3-5 ft, i.e.).

o

thank you for the info, i will try this. i was going to to just trim it but your method makes sense.thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here