Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GottaGarden, Tagalong Morning Glories

Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 10, 06 at 20:04

Hi Brenda,
I got a couple of surprise Morning Glories appear. I don't mind. I like them. I thought you might know if they have names or just passalong plants to you also.
The first one looks pretty much correct in the photo. It came along with the Verbascum.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The second one is a dark purple with red stripes. It is harder to see in this photo. It came along with the Veronica. I really do need to get a better camera. I'm going to ask for one for Christmas!
Remy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GottaGarden, Tagalong Morning Glories

Remy, looks like a Grandpa Ott to me!

o

The second one is Grandpa Ott. Absolutely gorgeous, I loved it . . . until they took over. They self seed like crazy and are coming up everywhere. You are warned, you may want to yank before seeds appear, or else spend lots of time pulling up unwanted seedlings next year.

I love morning glories over my arches, but given their seeding tendency, have replaced them all with clematis. Now I need another 2 years for the clematis to get large. ALthough beautiful, they are still small and establishing, and my arches were rather bare this year.

Hope your verbascum and veronica are doing well.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 11, 06 at 10:34

Thanks for the ID both of you. The Grandpa Otts is a beautiful color.
Thanks for the warning Brenda. Your Clematis will look great sooner than you know it! I remember the arch from a photo. I have a few Clematis, but my Etoile Violette is a monster! It would be a good choice for your arch. What varieties did you plant?
My plants from you are doing good. A couple of the Salvias kept right on blooming!
Remy

o

Glad the salvias are doing well for you - s. officinalis is wonderful, isn't it? Just stays in bloom forever.

Clematis is one of my new loves. My current favorite is Roguchi - blooming for many months.

Others I bought are:
Betty Corning
Etoile Violette
Jackmanii
Henryii
Proteus
Carnaby
Nelly Moser
Asao
Elsa Spath
Dr. Ruppel
others

I have 10 arches, and can plant one clematis on each side, that's why I have so many. (that and the fact that I find them very hard to leave on nurseries tables.)

Here's what they looked like in year 1. I love the look . . .

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 12, 06 at 20:17

Brenda,
I didn't realize you had 10 arches! I forget you have all that land. The arches do look great with morning glories, but I can see the seedlings getting out of hand.
I just had Betty Corning bloom this year for me! It is very delicate looking. And you did plant an Etoile Violette. I looked up the Roguchi; I like it a lot!
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here