Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

As posted to the Organic Garden Forum

cats39
18 years ago

Much of this years success came via the help from the OGF

Posted by CATS39 z5 Upstate NY (My Page)

Mon, Sep 26, 05 at 21:05

Hi Everyone!

Despite the hottest summer we've had in Upstate NY since I was a child some 60 years ago, and the fact that I wasn't able to tend to my garden chores as much as I would have liked, because of that heat, I must be boastful to say I had a faboulous year of growing; flowers as well as vegetables. I attribute this success partly because of what I learned from the Organic Forum.

We also had tons of heat lovin' weeds that seemed to thrive in the over 20 plus days of over 90 degree heat during July and August.

Some of you might remember me from the "Stale Coffee Controversy", back (I think) in Feb. Well, guess what? I dumped the coffee on the Garden sometime in Apr, and, as it turned out it didn't turn to "green sludge" as someone suggested it might.

But there was another thing I did this year that I think may have helped immensly to getting my 2nd year at this new homes garden off to a better start in our clay soil that was almost soil less. 2 years ago I had about just 2" of selfmade soil to work with.

Because I found the Organic Forum, I started composting everything, and many items I never composted before, cardboard etc.... This years garden beds went from last years 2" to 8" of rich soil that I know money can't buy.

BUT THERE WAS SOMETHING ELSE THAT HAPPENED THAT I THINK MAY HAVE BEEN INSTRUMENTAL IN THIS YEARS SUCCESS.

It began with the return migration of birds. I had about 25 lbs of cracked corn left over that I knew would take forever to get rid of in my feeders. So I took it to the garden beds and broadcasted by hand. I did this because I knew it was a good fertilizer - but something even better happened.

After about the 3rd day my wife said, "Jim! Come and look at this!" Besides Grackles and Starlings and Sparrows I must have had without too much exaggeration 250 Red Winged Blackbirds. I was so shocked I went out and purchased another 25lb. bag.

I did that because I came to the conclusion that the corn might be of some help but the droppings would help even better. I remember as a kid in the '40's cleaning out the neighbors chicken-coops and putting the remnats in their Victory Gardens. Even as a teenager when I was raising pidgeons, Mrs. Petro would thank me time after time for putting the pidgeon droppings in her close by garden, after I cleaned the bedding.

What came first to help my garden grow? The missed corn or the droppings? Well there never was to much of the missed corn with 400 to 500 birds passing through each morning and evening. I can't wait 'til next years northerly migration to experiment again.

Jim

Thanks again. I can't wait to start perusing the OG threads and the helpful hints during those cold winter days.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA