Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

WNY Tomato Party Results

remy_gw
16 years ago

Hi All,

I just got home a little while ago. What a day! Everything turned out so wonderful!! I do believe we had a great first time event. I have pics and so does Hilde, but we still have to work on downloading them and all.

Anyway, I figured I would post the winners since I'm sure some would be interested to know the results.

Sweetest by a long shot -Sweet Gold grown by Hilde

2nd place was Sungold grown by Mark Korney

Ugliest was grown by Marcia Ritchie, but I don't know what variety it really was!

Boldest Flavor was a tie between Black Sea Man grown by Marcia Ritchie, and Azchoyka grown by me and Hilde. Norm the eldest grower there was the tie breaker(who voted for neither) and picked Black Sea Man

Smallest went to Sungold grown by Mark Korney.

Second place went to Gardener's Delight grown by me.

Biggest went to Earl's Faux grown by Rob Kavanaugh at 1lb 8.7 oz

There were quite a few close in weight grown by Mark Korney

Best Overall went to Earl's Faux grown by Rob Kavanaugh.(I also had Ear's there too, but I think Rob's was much better.)

Second place was Stump of the World grown by me.

Third place was a tie between Black Russian grown by Norm Brown and Black Cherry, I think was grown by Marcia Ritchie.

I'm so happy it everything turned out so well. We had such a wonderful group of people show up!!!

Remy

Comments (12)

• husky004_
    16 years ago

Sorry I missed it Remy, I was there in spirit...sounds like you all had a great time.

• virgiebaby165
    16 years ago

Many thanks over and over again to Host Remy and Co-Host Mark for a most enjoyable tastefest. Just picture it....we had wall to wall paper plates with bites of tomatoes covering 3 full double-long tables and had to even add more. Remy, what did you do with all those left-over tomatoes?..canning I bet. A truly great time with great food and people to enjoy it with and am anxious to see the group photo taken. Tara, your cake...I can still taste that luscious chocolate...ummmm!

Remy, hubby, and Mark, again many thanks for your graciousness.

Ginny B.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathy,
    It turned out really well. You have to come next year!

Ginny,
    I'm so glad you came! All the food was so good. I think everyone went home stuffed, lol. I am canning all the uncut tomatoes. I figure I can save a couple jars for prizes next year : ) Many of the cut ones, people took to save seeds from.
    Here's a group photo. I think about 5 people are missing.

Here's one of some tomatoes.

Hilde took a lot of photos, but I don't think she posts on GW. If you want to see her pics email me.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Party Pics

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

I'm glad you all had fun. Next year! I will keep my eyes open for some of the varieties you mentioned as winners.

My mouth is watering looking at all those tomatoes on the table . . .

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Hi Remy!

I found my way here from your post at Tomatoes.

Sounds like the first annual tomato Party was a great success.
    So many great varieties...I'm impressed.

Are you in the front row next to the little boy in the gold shirt? Who are the other GWers in the group pic...always nice to put a face to a name. I so wish I lived closer.

Sue

• jannie
    16 years ago

That table of tomatoes looks fantastic!

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Sue,
    It would be great if you decide to come to the party and visit Niagara Falls next year! : )
    All the way in the back, the guy in the red hat is Larry(Lkittle), next to him is my Gary, next to him is Tara(Gardenfrog's) husband.
    In the standing row is my sis-in-law, Sheryl, then Mark(Korney), Hilde-she frequents that "other" place, Colleen who is Zana's friend, Zana(not sure if she has a GW name, she also frequents the "other" forum, then Tara(Gardenfrog) she looked so pretty in her wedding attire, then Ginny(Virgiebaby), then Patty a restaurant owner, then Norm my tomato buddy neighbor.
    In the front we have Jeff my brother-in-law surrounded by 3 of his boys, then Pomona(Penguingarder) with her girl on top of her, then Marcia a restaurant owner, then Jeff's 4th son, the yes it is me, then Terry(Tomatoaddict), then Ginny's friend Eileen, then Norm's wife Marilyn.

Brenda,
    You really would of been in tomato heaven!

Jannie,
    There were 90 varieties brought and only 5 were duplicates! I was amazed by that.
    Remy

• virgiebaby165
    16 years ago

Remy: Having eaten myself silly, I did get the Earl's Faux seeds but FORGOT the cherry gold tomatos (dah!) pictured directly in front of Hilde (center) in Picture 2...they are either Mark's or Hilde's tomatos. I would like no more than 5 seeds so I need to contact Mark or Hilde so will need their e-mails.

The picture of the group turned out so well...we truly don't look like we ate that many tomatos do we?

Ginny B.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ginny,
    The Sweet Golds are the ones that won sweetest, and they are Hilde's tomatoes. I think they are a hybrid though. I will make sure Hilde gets your email so she can tell you herself and send you the photos she took.
    Remy

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Remy
    What great pics of all those maters!!!1 WOW! I am sorry that I wasn't able to attend this year. Hopefully next year will work out for me. I am so glad you had such a great turnout.

The maters that I got off my plant from you at the swap have been wonderful! Unfortunately last week I lost that plant and the husk tomato plant when a tree came down in the back. I saved as many tomatoes as I could but alas there were no developing husk tomatoes just flowers. Hopefully now that the trees are gone I won't have any more plant damage next year.

Penny

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Penny,
    Next year you have to come! It really turned out great.

I'm sorry to hear you had a tree fall on your plants! I hope you didn't get too much other damage. I told you would like the Stump of the World tomato. Did you see in the first post that it came in 2nd for favorite? Out of 89 varieties that's not bad : )
    I wonder why you didn't get any fruit to develop on the husk tomato. Too bad they really do taste wonderful. I have tons of ripe tomatillos on my plants. I thought kept husk tomatoes for myself but I didn't, lol. Well, there is always next year.
    Remy

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Remy
    Yes I did see where it came in second. The funny thing is that my DH commented about the taste right off the bat and he has never commented about tomatoes before. We have eaten a couple in salads but I have mostly been just slicing them and serving them by themselves they are so good.

Penny

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida