Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it possible year round?

Posted by kyerie1 6NY (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 21:37

I am new to the area; I moved out from California 2 years ago.
I really like to grow my own foods, but hate this short season we have here.
Is it at all possible to grow year round in a freestanding greenhouse without spending huge amounts of money?
I want to build next spring and would like to make something that is able to produce veggies over winter.
What I am currently looking at is a mid-size freestanding shed with polycarbonate partial (s side) roof and sides. I was thinking about using a solar wall set up on the N wall and a thermal mass under (sand).
Could this set up work?
Any suggestions are appreciated, as the idea of another long no-gardening season is here and is depressing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it possible year round?

kyerie1
"without spending huge amounts of money"

That will be the hard part, lol.

Visit the greenhouse forum on gardenweb. They are extremely knowledgable about this stuff.

o

• Posted by aurore Zone 4/5 NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 21, 06 at 13:29

Depends on what you want to grow. Greenhouses can help get a jump on the season. Using it year round could get expensive.
Do you have a large enough growing space so that you can grow alot to freeze or can to supply you throughout the winter.- potatoes- in a root cellar, canned tomato sauce, frozen green beans, canned pickles, etc..
Cold frames are good for some greens which can be harvested late into the season. One of my favorite TV shows used to be Gardening Naturally. They built plastic greenhouses over cold frames. Supposedly each layer of insulation raised the temperature to the next growing zone. So if their area was a zone four it would be a zone 7 inside the coldframe which was inside the greenhouse.

o

If you can attach the green house to the south side of the house that may help hold the heat. I would think that you would have to intstall heat cables because you solar panels may not be able to collect enough sunlight to keep it heated. Grey winter days and snow covering the greenhouse aren't going to provide much sunshine.
Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here