Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jean_mdc

Our hummingbirds have left!

jean_mdc
18 years ago

Our hummingbirds have left! We live close to Albany and Troy but as of Sept 17th they are off to their new home.

Do you still have some?

Comments (17)

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

I saw some today, I'm between Rochester and Buffalo. I'm sure they'll be gone soon though . . . .

• oldroser
    18 years ago

Most of mine left on September 1st but there was one at the feeder this morning. Maybe just passing through but I'm glad I refilled with fresh syrup.

• adichristi
    18 years ago

I refilled with fresh syrup, but my babies I have not seen in about a week. I miss them!

• herbalbetty
    18 years ago

Ours were still flitting about this weekend, but I expect them to leave very soon. It's a little later than usual for their flight south this year. They especially loved the lion's ear I planted this year!

• hammerl
    18 years ago

I haven't seen any in about a week or so. Mine were happy with the agastache and bee balm, among other things.

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

I haven't seen any either in over a week. I am just north of Syracuse in Oswego County. I wish I'd pay attention and right these things down....I thought they would stay later since it's been so hot, but I guess they are smarter than we are...LOL

• elgliders
    18 years ago

Saw one of the regulars in the garden today. I'm in Southport.(Just south of Elmira)

• jean_mdc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much for all your posts. We have not seen any more hummingbirds so I guess the message is.......Now we need to take in the feeders and accept that this year's hummingbird party is over!

• oldroser
    18 years ago

Saw a transient at the feeder yesterday. I usually leave my feeders up until around Oct. 15th just to be sure that hospitality is available in case of a late traveller.

• scented_berry
    18 years ago

Jean,

Where about in Albany/Troy are you? I never have any luck getting a hummer in Troy near RPI, but I thought I am in a too-big of a city :(

• jean_mdc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Sented Berry

I am only about 12 minutes from you in West Sand Lake. I would think you could get some. We plant for them and also put out 2 feeders that we wash out every week and replace the liquid.

RPI has a lot of wooded areas and trees around. Have you tried to attract them?

We miss them.....but also look forward to the excitement when they return.

Jean

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Jean my regulars left about the same time as yours but I was blessed with 3 migrants after that. The last migrant arrived on the 28th of Sept. and stayed until Oct. 10.

I am already planning my garden beds for next spring when they return.

Penny

• Carol_from_ny
    18 years ago

When my trumpet vine stops producing flowers the hummers leave. I had one little bird that came every evening just before dusk. He'd sit on the clothesline and look over the vine and then spend the next ten minutes or so feeding off the flowers. I real miss seeing him and his buddies.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I opted for coral honeysuckle vine this year and it has been blooming since late spring. It has just now stopped blooming and it was a major draw for my hummers along with scarlet sage and agastaches.

Penny

• jean_mdc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks again for all your posts. It is so great to hear about your hummer experiences and in particular the plants that attract them for you! Now we'll just have to wait to see who is the first one to get them back in the spring.

A darling hummingbird story ...... years ago folks believed that hummers migrated by crawling into the feathers of a swan and hitching a ride to their destination! They were so small.....how could they possibly fly that far? Then they started to band birds and discovered the real story!

Jean

• lizzy825_54
    6 years ago

The last of the Hummers have left. I have 30 feeders in my yard. We sit on the Deck every night and watch the little ones...But this morning...I found 2 dead Hummers out near the barn, one was impaled by another. We are in The Attica/Alexander,NY area.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    6 years ago

My little hummer family left on September 5th (Catskills) but everyday I have migrants stopping to feed off the red salvias on my deck and in my garden.

I can tell they are different everyday from their different markings. And they have all been females!! What's up with that?

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio