Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our hummingbirds have left!

Posted by Jean_MDC z 4/5 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 05 at 23:08

Our hummingbirds have left! We live close to Albany and Troy but as of Sept 17th they are off to their new home.

Do you still have some?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our hummingbirds have left!

I saw some today, I'm between Rochester and Buffalo. I'm sure they'll be gone soon though . . . .

o

Most of mine left on September 1st but there was one at the feeder this morning. Maybe just passing through but I'm glad I refilled with fresh syrup.

o

I refilled with fresh syrup, but my babies I have not seen in about a week. I miss them!

o

Ours were still flitting about this weekend, but I expect them to leave very soon. It's a little later than usual for their flight south this year. They especially loved the lion's ear I planted this year!

o

• Posted by hammerl z5-6 Amherst NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 20, 05 at 16:44

I haven't seen any in about a week or so. Mine were happy with the agastache and bee balm, among other things.

o

I haven't seen any either in over a week. I am just north of Syracuse in Oswego County. I wish I'd pay attention and right these things down....I thought they would stay later since it's been so hot, but I guess they are smarter than we are...LOL

o

Saw one of the regulars in the garden today. I'm in Southport.(Just south of Elmira)

o

Thank you so much for all your posts. We have not seen any more hummingbirds so I guess the message is.......Now we need to take in the feeders and accept that this year's hummingbird party is over!

o

Saw a transient at the feeder yesterday. I usually leave my feeders up until around Oct. 15th just to be sure that hospitality is available in case of a late traveller.

o

Jean,

Where about in Albany/Troy are you? I never have any luck getting a hummer in Troy near RPI, but I thought I am in a too-big of a city :(

o

Hi Sented Berry

I am only about 12 minutes from you in West Sand Lake. I would think you could get some. We plant for them and also put out 2 feeders that we wash out every week and replace the liquid.

RPI has a lot of wooded areas and trees around. Have you tried to attract them?

We miss them.....but also look forward to the excitement when they return.

Jean

o

Jean my regulars left about the same time as yours but I was blessed with 3 migrants after that. The last migrant arrived on the 28th of Sept. and stayed until Oct. 10.

I am already planning my garden beds for next spring when they return.

Penny

o

When my trumpet vine stops producing flowers the hummers leave. I had one little bird that came every evening just before dusk. He'd sit on the clothesline and look over the vine and then spend the next ten minutes or so feeding off the flowers. I real miss seeing him and his buddies.

o

I opted for coral honeysuckle vine this year and it has been blooming since late spring. It has just now stopped blooming and it was a major draw for my hummers along with scarlet sage and agastaches.

Penny

o

Thanks again for all your posts. It is so great to hear about your hummer experiences and in particular the plants that attract them for you! Now we'll just have to wait to see who is the first one to get them back in the spring.

A darling hummingbird story ...... years ago folks believed that hummers migrated by crawling into the feathers of a swan and hitching a ride to their destination! They were so small.....how could they possibly fly that far? Then they started to band birds and discovered the real story!

Jean

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here