Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Russelia equisetiformis

penny1947
14 years ago

OK I know that this is a little far fetched for this group but does anyone by any chance grow Russelia equisetiformis aka Fountain Plant, Coral plant? I fell in love with it while we were in Florida over Easter but since we flew I couldn't bring one back with me. One of our Hummingbird Forum members in Florida sent me divisions of his a couple of weeks ago now I am just hoping I can keep it alive until spring. If by chance if anyone does grow it, How do you care for it over the winter? BTW, It is a fantastic hummingbird plant and grows very well in hanging baskets.

If I don't kill it and can keep it growing I may just be able to get some starts of it for next year's WNY plant swap (Husky are you listening?)

Penny

Comments (8)

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Penny,
    I don't grow it, but if you kill it before spring, let me know. I'll bring some back for you when I go to Key Largo.
    By the way, remember how I told you about the honeysuckle I had planted to attract the hummingbirds? Well, one evening this summer, Gary and I are talking out in the driveway near it and a hummingbird came along and went to a lot of the flowers! It was quite fun to watch. I can't wait for next summer.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful:

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

YESSSSS Remy! That is awsome!Finally after all the years of trying to attract them. I am as excited for you as if it was my own. I am already working on next years plants.

The Russelias are so awsome in bloom I just had to add them to the garden. Thanks for your offer. I will keep you posted.

Penny

• husky004_
    14 years ago

Hey Penny-im back and forth to Florida visiting my daughter,so if there is anything else you are looking for let me know, I fly but im good at smuggling stuff in my suitcase lol.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Husky you guys are great! If you don't have a Russelia yourself you need to get one. They are great! They remind me of a fibre optic light only instead of silver looking sprays you have green sprays with little red tubular flowers sprinkled all over the spray. In Florida they grow in the ground since it is technically a shrub but they do very well in hanging baskets too.

Penny

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

This site had very specific and helpful looking info -
    http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week025.shtml

If i get any more tropicals that have to be wintered indoors, I think Ray is going to do away with me and bury my body in the back forty. The house is full, the office is full and I have to be away for a month leaving him with watering chores. He does not do plants and is always terrified what I will do to him if I come home to dead plants.

-Rosalinda

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rosalinda
    My husband complains every fall when the plants start coming in. Most are in the kitchen in front of the french doors but then I have a few smaller ones in the living room, laudry room and downstairs bathroom. This year I took several cuttings early in Sept. so I have added those to the mix of what I already have. I know exactly what you are talking about. The nice thing with the Russelia is that it can be grown in a hanginb basket from a ceiling hook so it is sort of out of the way.

Penny

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Penny,
    I brought back a pot of Russelia equisetiformis for you. If you don't want it, don't worry you know I'll grow it myself.
    Oh the hummingbirds visited my father's cactus everyday! THe cactus is about 9' tall. The hummers are green, not the ruby throated kind. I wish I could of gotten a pic.
    Remy

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Remy,
    I don't know if you received my email or not. I would love to have the Russelia but if you didn't get one for yourself I would feel bad about taking it. If you did get one for yourself. I will be more than happy to trade plants with you. I have a new canna this year that has a bicolored flower (Red and yellow) called Canna patens. It stays smaller than typical canna species.

Penny

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz