Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arborvitae Green Giant

Posted by MsKitty31 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 8:32

I am considering purchasing some Arborvitae - for the specific purpose of screening. I am considering the fast growing Green Giant. My question is whether they will survive in my Zone 4. Most sites I have found them on say Zone 5-7. I haven't noticed these trees in our surrounding area but I only just started looking. Does anyone have any experience growing this specific arborvitae in less than a Zone 5?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arborvitae Green Giant

I am going to post this in the conifer forum.

o

Good decision to post on the conifer forum!
I do not know about the zone, but these 'Green Giants' will become giants literally. They look nice when bought small, but in 20 years they might be 40 ft tall and 15 ft diameter, so watch out where you plant them. When you plant them too close to the property line, they will encroach on neighbor's property. When you plant them too close to your own house or path they will take those over, and you will not be able to prune them at those heights.

o

Deer love Arborvites, you will probably have issues. I bought 14 to form a wall, after 3 years of relentless deer eating (always in winter) they gave up and died. I am thinking of trying Spruce, I hear they are not as tasty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here