Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

A little OT: But not really if you live Upstate.

cats39
17 years ago

Hi All!

IÂm sure all of us UpstaterÂs can attest to the fact that our Spring to Fall SeasonÂs 2006 have been most unusual! This past week my wife and I had to travel to Binghamton as a dear friend had passed away. We left Tuesday morning as the rain was falling. As we got to the higher elevations on 81S at Lafayette the wind really picked up and all the way to just beyond Marathon it was relentless. It was like flying in an airplane with the strong wind buffeting and pushing the car in a back and forth motion, plus eventually making my eyes sore as the driving rain pelted the windshield.

IÂd have to admit with all of the driving weÂve done over these past 44 years to and from the Southern Tier we never experienced the likes of these conditions and having it last for so long. I made mention to my wife that it was to bad the weather wasnÂt nicer as you could see on occasion that the leaves seemed to be at there peak.

The reason I mentioned this, on the way back Wednesday the weather was better and as we got closer to Cortland you could see a few breaks in the clouds. The sad part was, the beautiful foliage that was fully exposed to the onslaught of wind and rain were completely gone in just a little over 24 hours.

But the real reason IÂm writing a few weeks ago while walking the Old Erie Canal I saw a "Wooly Bear". That doesnÂt sound so unusual does it? But the fact is, it has been the only Wooly IÂve seen this year. What made it more unusual was as I picked the 2" long creature up for a further look, 1/3rd from its head was black and the rest of its body was brown without a trace of black at the tail.

Usually by this time of the year IÂve seen dozens from around our home to the many that cross the open County and less traveled roads that you sometimes canÂt miss running over for safetyÂs sake. Everyone of those thousands IÂve come across always had black heads/brown bodies/black tails.

We all know the devastation Buffalo experienced last week. We were personally kept well informed as we have a Granddaughter at Canisius College. Now the Watertown area gets belted with heavy wet snow yesterday.

I know that Penny had a Hummer in her backyard this week and that in itself is amazing, but the question is, what experiences might you have had that would make you think a really hard start for winter and then a less harsh at the end as my lone "Wooly Bear" has predicated?

Have a great Day! And it was truly sad to hear that so many have been inconvinced for so long by our strange weather phenomena of the past few weeks. It reminded me of a time when we were without power for over a week back in the 70's because of a March freezing rain storm. Thank God we had a fireplace and a gas stove for cooking in order to get through. And the fact we could put our food from the freezer out doors under piles of snow and ice sure did make it easier.

Jim

Comments (6)

• kareen
    17 years ago

Interesting thoughts Jim,
    We had an early snow storm here in the 80's and did the same thing with the gas stove and fireplace.
    He's a link I found on wooly bear predictions.
    http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/nov2000/974338287.Zo.r.html
    My husband is a real weather enthusiast and my running comment to him is "if you live in the great Northeast..don't be surprised at the weather."
    Having said that I do have a major concern about "global warming" . I look forward to reading others thoughts on this topic.
    My condolences on the loss of your friend. Kareen

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Well folks, here it is Oct. 21st and my little female hummer is still with me feeding on flowers exclusively. I also know of 2 others in Michigan that are also still hosting a hummer.

Last night I was one of the chaperones for a brownie troop that was sleeping over at the Niagara Falls Aquarium. During one of the talks about the seals that are housed in an outdoor pool year round, we were told that in years where the winters are early and severe the seals start increasing their caloric intake early in order to put on lots of weight for the winter. So far they have yet to put on the extra weight which we were told is usually considered a sign of a milder winter. The guide told us that the seals have been more accurate than the meteorologists at predicting our winters.

Penny

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

There is no shortage of the caterpillars here. But as you say, everyone I've seen is all brown except for the black head. A mild winter? We can only hope, but so far the weather has been ominous.

For those who haven't seen them, here's a photo I took this morning.

• hammerl
    17 years ago

I've given up on the weather forecasts predicting mild or severe.

I watch the squirrels and the trees. OK, when I still had trees I watched the trees.

The squirrels were really lax about burying things this year, and didn't even start at my house until after the snowfall. In fact, they didn't even go after my bird seed until about three weeks ago, and aren't going ga-ga over it even though there are peanuts in it.

The maple trees were loaded with seeds, which tends to mean to me that it's a mild winter and they will try to reproduce like crazy. Heavy winters they have had fewer seeds.

I haven't seen the wooly bears around my house. I also haven't seen hummers lately, but I am not all that far from Penny. I haven't had a feeder up this year, but I still have some plants that they are supposed to love that are blooming -- salvia, coral honeysuckle, impatiens. I have cut nothing back, no time yet with the branches. They are welcome to come and take whatever sustenance they can get.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Well darn it, she is still here again today! so I am so glad people still have plants blooming. I have also noticed that the squirrels haven't been as busy burying their buckeye seeds all over my yard and in fact they aren't bothering to come to the bird feederrs much either. I haven't seen any wooly bears this year but then I haven't really been looking. My impatiens amd petunias in hanging baskets were dust after the snow storm last week but they are blooming again.

Penny

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Yesterday I saw 2 more wooly bears - only these ones had more black - just a little more at the head, and a little more at the tail, mostly brown. Still bodes well for a mild winter. ALthough I think its really just wishful thinking on my part.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz