Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kareen_gw

How are you decorating your yard and doors for fall/Halloween

kareen
17 years ago

Would love to see pics, I haven't gotten to mine yet but it is such a fun holiday as produce and dried plants can be used to decortate with. Maybe your ideas will inspire me to get to it!!! Kareen

Comments (10)

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Kareen i am still collecting seed and pulling up a few spent plants and tromping through my waterlogged yard to think about halloweenie yet but i did put up a metal wall pocket with an arriangement of dried flowers where the old wall mounted mail box used to be. That is about as far as I have gotten so far. I would like to get a new scarecrow to seat on my park bench with large punpkins on either sside. i really decorate more for fall with a harvest theme than I do for halloween.

Penny

• kareen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I decorate more for fall too but just can't get it going. I did get a pumpkin for the front porch so I guess thats a start. I think its off to the craft store to get inspired and hopefully others will post pictures of their fall decorating.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

LOL! I haven't even bought a pumpkin yet but I have been looking when I am out. I was at A.C. Moore yesterday and saw some really cute fall/halloween yard stakes. However being a professional crafter myself, I try to make my own or purchsse what I need or want from other crafters first before resorting to the oriental imports in the stores. I feel it is my way of supporting our American entrepeneurs and American made products. So this is my way of Saying BUY AMERICAN. Yes you will pay a little more but it is American Made and is usually a better quality product that will last over a longer period of time. I belong to the New York Crafters community and there are oodles of very good online sources for many items that are made right here in NY state including a complete line of furniture that is made right here in western NY in Jamestown. I won't post any links but if you are interested in the links to the directories of NY craft artists, let me know. OK, I am off my soap box.

Penny

• kareen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That is great Penny, I love all people but do believe charity begins at home . I have been trying to avoid Wally World as much as possible too for so many reasons.! I will get off that soap box too but I would love the links.
    As my unpacking continues I have found some fall and Halloween things that I have put inside and out but think I will head out to AC Moore and maybe the Christmas tree shop.Since the remodel I have been trying to lose some of the tchotchie and cottage look and decorate with more substantial things to fill the spaces better K.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Kareen,
    You have mail. I sent it through my yahoo email address so if it doesn't show up you may have to check you spam folder.

Penny

• hammerl
    17 years ago

Ooh, a Christmas Tree Shop. I'm so jealous, I wish they had one out here at the western end of the state. :( And I'm not driving to Syracuse from Buffalo to shop at one.

I have to get going -- haven't done anything yet. If it weren't for the hardy mums I'd have only the impatiens for color right now, and the ornamental kale I bought last fall. Didn't think they were supposed to be hardy, but it overwintered just fine out in the flower bed.

I have to swap out my leaf flag for my jack o'lantern flag, and my apple and plum basket slate welcome sign for the indian corn one.

I still have to buy pumpkins, and some corn stalks to cover the lamp post and the clematis that isn't blooming on it anymore this year.

Then I just toss my inherited halloween collection around the house indoors, and call it a day. If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll throw some garden stakes in and rope off the curved flower bed so that the trick or treaters don't step in it and trample the plants (and knock over the dry stack rock wall and break a foot in the process), but that's about it.

• Aurore
    17 years ago

I've been bringing in small bouquets of dahlias- about the only thing left in bloom. The deer ravaged my garden this year. I thought I had a garden full of plants deer don't eat. There is nothing deer don't eat!
    I dried a large bunch of orange chinese lanterns and tied a bow around them and hung them on the door. These are such terribly invasive plants and not much to look while growing so that I'll probably rip them out and take back the yard next year.

• laurelin
    17 years ago

I decorate for the fall season, very simply: pumpkins on the front porch, and a grapevine wreath with fall leaves and rusty ribbon. That can stay up until Thanksgiving, when I pull out the Christmas stuff - now THAT'S a holiday I enjoy decorating for!

I look at the fading fall foliage of my garden as part of the "decoration" for my house: seed heads, colorful foliage, dry stalks, ornamental grasses going gold, it's all good.

Laurel

• husky004_
    17 years ago

Hammerl, there's a great Christmas Shop in Lackawanna right near the Basilica so you don't have to drive to Syracuse.

• kareen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses , I have enjoyed them and the good ideas they give. I ended up getting a few little pumpkins to go with the big one outside and a few for inside . I did get the fall decorations for inside around and got the deal of the century at Lowes . $2.00 each for good size decorated pots loaded with annuals ....the pots alone were worth about $10.00 Put them on my porch with a large orange/red begonia and a pumpkin and ghost stake in the yard and called it decorated. I too am looking forward to decorating for Christmas.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz