Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Any freecyclers on the forum?

penny1947
17 years ago

I just picked up an almost brand new composter this morning from someone on our local freecycle group. The people got it and used it a couple of times and then decided they didn't really want to mess with it. I could really use two at this point but I am thrilled to have the one and I can continue using my large bottomles tub for another year or two until it finally disintergrates.

Penny

Comments (13)

• kareen
    17 years ago

I freecycle too . Here our moderators changed the name to freestuff so more could go on our board. Seems if you freecycle there are some things that can't be posted to the boards, I think asking for referrals to tradesman etc. cant happen on freecycle so the rules on freestuff are more liberal.

• party_music50
    17 years ago

I tried using freecycle several times... what a MAJOR disappointment. Two items I picked up for myself, where both were left outdoors and I was to pick them up IMMEDIATELY (and I did): The first was allegedly an "excellent condition" octagon endtable -- when I picked it up it was disassembled and it turned out that most of the hardware was missing. The second was allegedly a "perfect condition" nordic track ski machine -- when I picked it up it was FILTHY, and once I got it home and cleaned up I realized that the crucial pulley assembly was missing. geesh.

But that isn't what discouraged me nearly as much as all of the NO SHOWS on the people who I had offered plants to -- and this was always after I had completely altered MY schedule to accomodate them.

Beyond that, the local freecycle here has nothing but BEGGARS on it -- especially one guy who alleges himself to be a "minister of something-completely-silly-and-made-up" (some on-line "group" where you can go sign up and then call yourself a minister of that group). I can't believe the number of people here that he's scammed out of donations. What aren't beggars are SPAMMERS -- people who allegedly have their own business and are trying to sell stuff. The moderators of the local group even went so far as to make a rule that a certain day of the week was "SPAM DAY"!!!! ugh!

I won't even bother to look at what's happening on freecycle here anymore; it's just too upsetting to me.

• virgiebaby165
    17 years ago

Count me in. I've used it to receive an answering machine for a girlfriend, woman delivered it too, excellent shape as well as to give away clothing and seedling tomato plants this spring. Made another friend through Freecycle with a woman who came more than 30 miles for 50 red lilly plants I wanted to recycle and seeds I tend to over-save each year. (I also trade on GW too but I'm running out of space.) People respond but do not pick up but that is what happens when it's free! Couldn't seem to get rid of a cold frame with glass and hinges on Freecycle, which my hubby made, so pushed it off on a neighbor who talks "seeds and plants" with me. Good Luck Penny; I love my composter too.

VB

• hammerl
    17 years ago

I've dabbled. I gave away a few plants, but a couple people never showed and eventually I tossed the remaining plants that I'd taken the time to dig for someone, when they kept drying out.

I gave away a cat scratching post. I never had a cat, but the neighbor's cat used to come down by my house and live on the porch. Then she took to scratching my wicker rocking chair, and a co-worker gave me her old scratching post from her cats. But I haven't seen the cat this year, so I wanted the scratching post out of my garage where I'd been storing it.

I got several thousand pounds of fieldstone rock to make dry-stack walls. They're not quite as big/nice as a pallet of fieldstone would be, but the price was right (free!) and all it took was four trips with my poor SUV and my amused dh. It looks pretty good, and we did not just the front yard as planned, but also two beds in the backyard and still have a couple bushels of rock in the garage for when my dh finally gets moving on another bed.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes it is true that some people don't show up and some items aren't what they were described as. When I have something to offer now I don't wait around I put the stuff out in a protected area and if the person doesn't pick it up it goes to the next in line. I also got tons of pea gravel 2 years ago that I have used in some of my beds. I still have one huge trash can full that I will be using in my patio when we get around to that project.

Penny

• pamghatten
    17 years ago

Hi Penny,

Do you have a link to our local Freecycle? I have some decent metal roofing I took of a barn that someone could use. I'd hate to throw it out or have it sit and end up rusting.

Pam
    S Wales, NY

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Pam I just sent the links to your emailf for the Buffalo Group and the Aurora Group. There is always someone looking for building type material. Good Luck!

Penny

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Penny do you want another composter? I have a very large black one, similar to this link, but not a double, just double wide.

Since moving to the country I have WAY too much compost to use in a little bin, and have graduated to very large Piles. It has sat unused for over a year and I am tired of looking at it.

Free for anyone who wants it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• breenthumb
    17 years ago

Don't go there much. But I've given quite a bit away. Have never requested/received anything except for needed room in our garage--priceless. If I happen to check the site I'll review past mssgs. and contact people looking for what I have. This site seems to move very fast so messgs. get lost.

I'm sometimes amazed at what people want though. Right now someone wants a dishwasher. Theirs broke and they "don't know how to get the dishes clean"! Sandy

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Some of the posts are pretty bold and humorous with some of the things people will request like a dishwasher. But I suppose if someone thinks they can get something for free instead of spending money for it it is worth a shot to ask.

I have picked up a few things that I have spotted, on the side of the road that were in excellent condition and offered them on freecycle. I hate to see good usable items being tossed out and ending up in the landfills.

Penny

• heebiejeebie
    17 years ago

Gotta Garden:
    If penny doesn't want it, can I have it?
    I would love to take it off your hands.

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

I told Penny if she can get it in 3 weeks its hers. Otherwise its yours. It's been sitting around for a year, so I'm hardly in much of a hurry. Mostly it ruined my barn garden photos - this big black composter in the background!
    See?

• pamghatten
    17 years ago

I'm new to Freecycle, thanks to Penny, and I'm supposed to have 2 people come out this weekend. One to come get steel roofing panels I took off an old barn, and the other to get a computer table I have sitting around taking up space.

The roofing generated a lot of response, but people didn't really think it through. I told them it was 16 feet long, and a couple of them emailed back and said they could get a pickup truck and come get it. Hmmmm ... I have a pickup and my bed is the standard 6 feet.

So we'll see if both show up this weekend.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor