Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salads_r_us

Where's the fall foliage?

salads_r_us
18 years ago

The one consolation of having the garden season end is the brilliant fall foliage. So far we have almost no color in Wayne County. I'd like to take a few day trips to see some nice upstate NY foliage. Anybody know where we can find some? Thanks!

MJ

Comments (10)

• bhrost
    18 years ago

I think the summer dryness and unusually warm weather has pushed the usual color change back 1 to 2 weeks thru most of NY. If you remember the scene at the Lake George boating fatality - even though it was the beginning of October, almost no color change was evident, and that was the Adirondacks where it usually changes the earliest.

• mountain_curmudgeon
    18 years ago

They're changing fast up here in the northern Adirondacks. I'm about 15 north west of Lake Placid and have some completely red trees across the creek.

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

According to our local weatherman last week, I thought the Adirondacks were near Peak, but noticed when they covered the Lake George accident that it didn't look like it. Some trees here have started to change around Syracuse, but most of mine in the yard have just turned brown and dropped off with very little real color change. The maples haven't turned yet, so hoping for better color then. We'd love to take a drive this weekend, but not sure where to go.

• salads_r_us
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the reports from the Adirondacks. What about the southern tier -- maybe in the Ellicottville area? Any good color there? We were down there a couple of weeks ago and the color was barely starting but I was hoping it might be getting good by now.

MJ

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

I got email from a friend in Angelica, Allegany County with lovely fall foliage pictures. It's a beautiful village just off I 86. They have several antique shops, a couple of B&B, a great fish fry at the hotel on friday nites. Its my favorite spot in the southern tier.

• pamghatten
    18 years ago

I live east of Ellicottville... and my foliage is turning. So Ellicottville, which is a little more south should be turning also. Probably a good weekend to go.

• salads_r_us
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lilylouise, thanks so much for the tip about Angelica. We went there today and the color was beautiful even though the sun wasn't shining. What a pretty little town. It was colorful all through the area from Angelica to Swain -- lots of yellow and orange and even some red foliage. Letchworth was disappointing. Only a few leaves have turned there.

MJ

• Aurore
    18 years ago

I was worried this rain would knock the leaves off the trees, but so far it seems to be a gentle rain without gusty wind so hopefully when the rain stops- forecasters say Saturday- the foliage will still be nice to look at and photograph. I'm in Otsego county.
    I posted some pictures from my backyard for anyone wanting some fall wallpaper for their computer desktop. (I recommend you save the picture as a bitmap, it avoids all that trouble with active x.) The wallpaper is 800x600.

Here is a link that might be useful: my wallpapaer

• mizack2
    18 years ago

I am possibly moving to Ontario, NY very soon. I am a Floridian presently living in northern GA (for six months). Having never lived north of Cincinnati and visted only as far a Philly, PA, I am worried about adjusting to the cold. What kind of culture shock do you New Yorkers expect I will experience, both enviornmentally and physically?

• penny1947
    18 years ago

mizack2
    YOU HAVE MAIL

Penny

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm