Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shimla81

What's a girl to do with the Brugs?

shimla
18 years ago

Toplady's Brugsmania from the swap are doing terrific out in the yard. They started blooming late in the season. Very pretty HUGE white trumpets. She gave me a whole print-out about how to care for these but that was a couple of years ago and you know how that goes...

They are still blooming right now and I'm wondering when I should dig them to bring indoors. The nights are getting nippy. How far should I hack them back? They must be about three feet now. I do believe that I can pot them up and leave in the basement for the winter. Does that sound correct?

Thanks in advance!

Shimla

Comments (11)

• jean_mdc
    18 years ago

Hi Shimla

I am in the same boat! I have 5 Beautiful Brugs....but only 2 are blooming! And they are also from the lovely Toplady's bounty at the swap in Rotterdam......so someone please help so we know what to do!
    Jean

• toplady5490
    18 years ago

Hi Gals I am so happy your brugss are doing well. Mine also are in full bloom they love this cooler weather. Shimla you should pot them up before the first killing frost. Cut them back to about 12 inches if you have a Y do not cut below it.Wash them off good so you do not bring in spider mites and place them in a cool of cold part of your basement. Let them rest all winter giving them about a cup of water once a month until spring They will send out leaves but these will drop off. If you have room in your house you can bring a small one in and let it bloom all winter It is heavely. But please spray for spider mites first. You can also root some of the cuttings that you cut off. This will give you young ones for next spring that you can plant in the ground and leave them there to die off next year. I will have loads of cutting this year that I am only going to throw away. Yellow pink and white if any one wants some cuttings.

Toplady Ann

• hudsonview
    18 years ago

Hi Ladies, We have only one and it is in the largest pot we can move. We plant it in the yard every spring and dig it up again around this time. It's about five feet tall. A sizable root comes out the bottom but it doesn't seem to mind - it keeps flowering indoors for several weeks. We kept it in a warm, sunny room and it dropped all of its leaves anyway, so I guess we will try letting it rest in a cool spot. Thanks.
    Jon

• toplady5490
    18 years ago

Those of you who have brugs should prune them back in the fall let them rest but use the cuttings to start new ones. If for some reason you lose the mother tree you will alway have a new one. They grow quickly. I have learned that they do not like hot sun and I also feed them with epson salts in the summer and really pour the water to them. The problem with keeping large ones in the house is that the develope spider mites.Also you can share cuttings with your friends

• shimla
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi girls!

Well if it ever stops raining I will get myself out there to grab them! I'm going to try the smaller one inside the house - they are so pretty I'd love to expand my enjoyment time with one. The flowers are fabulous!

I looked at my largest one and I do see a V so I will keep the cuts above that. I really hope they make it over the winter and I keep remembering to water them.

Jean - Anne-Marie and I were trying to schedule a garden tour at your house this fall and time got away from us. I've heard you have a beautiful garden!

• husky004_
    18 years ago

I have about 50 brugs that I grew from seed two years ago they are blooming like crazy mostly whites...will take cuttings and put lots of them in water with an airstone, give lots away and sadly probably put some to the compost pile...darn but they grow fast and big.

• starmoon
    18 years ago

Here's a pic of one of my brugs that I got from toplady at the Rotterdam Swap that finally bloomed! It smells heavenly. I kept my brugs potted up for an easy move inside this fall.

Thanks again Toplady5490 for the beautiful plant.

-starmoon *)

• jean_mdc
    18 years ago

Shimla
    You and Anne-Marie will just have to come to visit us in the spring. Ann Marie did get over when we had a tour going and I wanted her to come back over but everyone just gets so busy. I would love to have you girls stop by!

Jean

• bjgirven
    18 years ago

Jean, where is your garden? You have got me very curious now....I love lookibng at other's creativeness.
    Bobbi

• jean_mdc
    18 years ago

Bobbi

I an in West Sand Lake.....quite close to Kareen, and we are great garden buddies.

Jean

• shimla
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ah, it's very refreshing to look at your picture today, starmoon! Snow is on it's way and all the color is gone from my yard until spring arrives again.

Jean - I can't wait to take a trip over in the spring. I will certainly take you up on the invitation!

I've had the opportunity to see a few of our upstate friends' gardens over the last couple of years. Thanks to this forum I've made some wonderful friends. I've got to tell you, every garden I have seen is just as unique as every individual. We've all posted our pictures from time to time but seeing them in person is so different. I'd love to have a garden tour in July when everything is in bloom the most. Perhaps a weeding party :) LOL! Well, I'm way off-topic as usual. At least this time I'm hijacking my own thread...