Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantoretire_did

Shasta Daisy

wantoretire_did
18 years ago

Daisies I got from Scotia Plant Swap in 2004 are just now blooming. Is this normal for Shastas? They are pretty...

Carol

Comments (7)

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

My shastas bloomed in June-July, so I think this is odd...however they sometimes rebloom if you cut off the spent blooms in time....maybe that is all it is. They weren't quite big enough to bloom earlier so they are blooming now.

• wantoretire_did
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is the first time they have bloomed, at all. Should I cut them back after frost and they have finished blooming, or wait intil spring?

Carol

• Aurore
    18 years ago

This year my shastas fizzled out; don't know if it was the heat or what. Usually they will bloom until frost. The critters ate them too. Deadheading keeps them blooming. Here they will self seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: my webpage

• shimla
    18 years ago

Is this a young plant, Carol? My WS coreopsis just set off blooms a couple of days ago for the first time. Last year my burgundy gaillardia bloomed (from seed, first year) very late in the season. My shasta bloomed during the summer and I've since cut it all back. I trimmed it after the first wave and did get some repeat blooms and now have cut it down for the season.

• wantoretire_did
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HI Shimla - I got this plant at the 2004 swap and finally got it into the ground last fall. It was a reasonable size, not a winter-sown baby. This is its only flowering this year. I would have thought it would bloom earlier; maybe because of dry conditions? I didn't water much as we are on a well.

How about this cold and rain? Get out the turtlenecks!!

• shimla
    18 years ago

I can't recall ever having a shasta bloom so late in the season. I would suspect that next year it will be on schedule now that it's completely established. Plan for summer blooms.

As common as it is, I just LOVE the shasta. Seems to go with everything. I took a flower arranging class and we spray-painted them with pastel paints. You just give them a little spritz with the can to put spots on the petals. It made a really pretty bouquet!

Yes, we're back to the cold! Adkmountaingirl has been over helping me dig out trumpet vine. The rain is putting a damper on our dig-fest. I think our nice outdoor days are coming to an end for the season.

• LAA668984
    18 years ago

Could your fall blooming shasta be a mum? I noticed my neighbor had what looked like shastas out by her mailbox. When I went to get a closer look, the leaves weren't really a shasta daisy type. They didn't look exactly like my mum foliage either. But the flower was a big, white daisy so I think it must be a mum. I have a few daisy mums, not white ones, but I know they do come in white too. Actually shastas are members of the mum family, but they normally bloom in spring/summer instead of fall. I've never seen a shasta bloom in Oct. but who knows? The weather has been so crazy, anything is possible.

Sponsored