Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

coral honeysuckle

penny1947
18 years ago

Well I finally pulled my honeysuckle out of the large container it has been growing in all summer. I was told by someone at a local nursery that it wouldn't survive in a container outside here in the winter (I am not quite sure that is true as I know someone in a highrise that has been growing one on her balcony for 5 yrs.) but anyway I had to cut it back in order to get it out of the pot. I cut it back to about 12 inches from the base. I removed the trellis and the vines and then proceeded to take the rest out of the container. Well much to my surprise the tap root had grown out of one of the drainage holes right down into the ground. After several tugs, the tap root broke off at the soil surface. I got it out of the pot and put it in the ground. I am hoping that I got it in early enough and that it will survive the winter. Now I am also wondering if the tap root that broke off and is still in the ground will produce another plant next spring. I also took some cutting of the top growth that was cut off and stuck them in a large pot to see if any of those will root. Has anyone had any luck rooting coral honeysuckle cuttings and what method did you use? I collected the few berries that were left so I can also try to grow some from the seed. THis was my first year with a coral honeysuckle and it was so gorgeous all summer into fall that I really would like to have more. THis is a definite keeper in my garden and for all you hummingbird gardeners on the forum, if you don't already have a coral honeysuckle, it is a definite must have. My hummers were all over mine all summer long right up until the day they headed south.

Penny

Comments (5)

• husky004_
    18 years ago

Penny, I just have my original i bought and planted, i gave my friend some cuttings but she had no luck with them...i cut mine down hard every year or else it goes crazy...but i also had the hummers everyday at mine.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey husky
    I had emailed you a while ago about your honeysuckle so I am glad you responded here. I really hope mine does ok since I took it out of the container and put it in the ground. I am thankful that the weather is holding out to give it more time to get established in the ground before it freezes. I have read that cuttings are not easy but since I was cutting it back anyway, I figured I didn't have anything to lose if they don't root. I have also read that the seeds are real easy so I will try those too. If the piece of root that is still in the ground comes back in the spring then that will be a double bonus because then I will have at least two hopefully! I am already looking forward to spring. BTW, how are you doing with your Brugs for the winter?

Penny

• hammerl
    18 years ago

I never had the problem you had - got it as a small cutting from a plant sale a few years ago and it thrived from there, and I've just let it ramble on the fence. It's still blooming away. If you want, I can try to root some cuttings in time for the swap. I've never tried it, but... if yours comes, I'm sure someone else at the swap (assuming there is one and I go)would take it. It's pretty and a hummer favorite.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I didn't have a problem per se with my honeysuckle. I was just a bit concerned because I have been growing it in a large container all summer and now that winter is coming I thought I better get it in the ground so it would have winter protection because someone at Menne's nursery said they wouldn't survive in a container. My biggest problem is that I want more so I thought that I would try a few cuttings from the part I cut back when I took it out of its pot. I also got the berries that were left on it that the birds didn't eat so I can try some from seed. I have heard that is the easiest way to go....
    1. clean the pulp off the berries
    2. drop them in some nice potting soil,
    3. put the pot outside for the winter and wait for spring.

Penny

• husky004_
    18 years ago

Penny, don't think i ever received your email re the honeysuckle, and im attempting to bring most of the brugs in and take cuttings...i need to scale back lol!!!!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville