Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help With Plant Identification

Posted by Jeff1945 none (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 6:36

I am trying to identify a plant that appeared this year in my garden. It grows about 18" tall in a very tight patch that may or may not be connected by the root system underground. It has grown throughout the summer, and now forms a dense patch about 8 feet in diameter. It is so resistant that 2 applications of Roundup barely touched it until the first killing frost. I would very much like to know what it is and especially whether it is an invasive species. I have attached a picture of it from July when it flowered. Located in Upstate NY just south of Syracuse. I've searched extensively but cannot identify it. Please post reply or email me if you can do so. Thanks!

Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help With Plant Identification

Additional pic of leaves and stem.

o

Post this in the "name that plant" forum. They'll ID it fast.

o

It's Houttuynia. I grew the variegated variety once -- IN A POT! :p The friend who gave it to me warned me that if I planted it in the ground I would never get rid of it.

o

Thank you both! Both for the suggestion and the answer!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here