Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wintering over agastaches

Posted by susanzone5 z5NY (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 24, 05 at 8:22

I brought a beautiful pink agastache indoors for the winter and would like to know what conditions it needs to survive. It's on a west facing, cold windowsill, the only place big enough to hold it. It's in its original pot, and has 4 stems that are fairly new, each with a spent flower. I cut off the old, dead stems.

I figure Penny is the one who grows these plants (and was the inspiration for me buying this one) and would know what to do. I have to say that this plant on my deck table attracted our hummingbirds more than any other plant, and it smells delicious when I touch it. Thanks, Penny.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wintering over agastaches

hi Susan,
Agastaches need as much light as they can get inside. Also they need to stay a bit more on the dry side. If your plant is hardy, I would highly recommend putting it in the ground next spring. The one agastache that I wintered inside last year has been in the ground since April. In spite of the freezing temps and snow mine are still green at the base and forming new rosettes.

Good luck and come spring get it outside as soon as you can do so safely.

Penny

o

Thanks, Penny. It's not hardy, at least I don't think it is, since I found it inside a greenhouse with annuals needing protection in early spring. It's an apricot (name) but the exact name escapes me. It never had a rosette, just woody stems. I liked it on my deck table so I could watch the hummers up close.

o

Susan the only two Apricot agastaches that I am familiar with are Apricot Sunrise and Apricot Sprite. The latter is a much shorther plant and that one is hardy to zone 7 although it has done well in my garden (z6a). Apricot Sunrise is hardy to zone 5-6. Both are clump forming in ground but may not form as well in a container. Most nurseries do put them with the herbs or tender perennials because they aren't as familiar with them up here in the northern states. Keep an ey on yours, It just may be hardy.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here