Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Anyone grow Salvia Azurea from seed?

penny1947
18 years ago

I just started to collect seed from my 6 ft. tall Salvia Azurea. The seeds are not at all like other salvias. These seeds are the size and shape of grape seeds. Does this sound about right? I grew my original plants from seed last year but can't recall what the seed actually looked like and I can't remember who I got the seed from. It may have been Anne Marie.

Penny

Comments (2)

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    18 years ago

Hello from the Albany 'ghost'! This has been my first time posting for a LONG time, it seems. Will have to check the threads for what I missed.

Penny, I was not the source of your salvia azurea (as far as I can remember). I had to check the plant out actually as I did have seeeds for a salvia patens 'gentian blue'--thought maybe it went under different names. I also have LOTS of salvias.

I went to check the seeds of my salvia patens to see what they looked like... and indeed the These seeds are the size and shape of grape seeds. So the seeds you collected are what you thought to be, no doubt.

I found several sites for salvia azurea. Here is one. It should be hardy in your area-unlike my salvia patens (which looks very much like yours but much shorter.
    Anyway, I hope this helps.

By the way, your agastache apricot sprite is still blooming (has been blooming all summer!) and is doing great. Thank you. How did your hyacinth bean vine do? Mine was the best ever--must have loved the heat.

With this hot, dry summer some of my traditional plants just vegetated, others thrived (agastaches, penstemons, morning glories, etc). Interesting summer, somewhat disappointing, though.

Happy seed collecting, Penny, and all.
    Am going to try to catch up with my e-mails, Shimla, Kareen, Jean, adkmountaingirl..., I promise..
    Anne-Marie

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Anne-Marie,
    It is so good to hear from you! I have been wondering where you were. Thank you for the link to the Herb society. Very good info there. I ahave really been busy cleaning and packing seeds and talk about those hyacinth beans! They did outsitanding this year. I have a huge container of seed and didn't even collect it all. I was really lucky this summer since most of my plants consisted of salvias, agastaches and penstemons, they flourished beyond my greatest expectations with the hot dry weather and of course my hummers were equally thrilled.

I am so glad that your Apricot Sprite did so well. Mina are all still blooming also along with an Acapulco and a sonoran sunset and Pringlei. The Acapulco I bought at WalMart down in Indiana this spring and it is over 4 ft. tall now and just as wide.

Try not to be such a stranger and pop in every now and then just to say HI....we miss you!

Penny

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!