Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cedar Damage from Snow

Posted by Shalenrd Buffalo, NY (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 05 at 11:14

Hello -
I am a recent transplant from Houston. Last week I noticed that our first snow fall was causing the branches of my cedar bushes to bend to the ground. I'm afraid of permanent damage to these great 7-foot tall bushes. Any suggestions on how to protect them would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if a wooden teepee or burlap would be appropriate. If it is teepees then do you buy these at Home Depot/Lowes or make them out of plywood? I am at a loss here. Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cedar Damage from Snow

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 30, 05 at 15:17

Hi, Welcome to western NY. I don't have cedars, but I have a suggestion in case no replies quickly. I'm assuming the shrubs were there when you moved in being that they are so large. I would ask a neighbor if the people that lived there before protected them during the winter. I guess it would be a good way to get to know a neighbor if you haven't met them yet. Most people don't have plants outside that they need to protect around here, so it could be that they may just look bad to you but nothing is going to happen. Now, if it happens that the shrub was protected, I don't know what to do. I have a survival of the fittest type garden : )
Good luck,
Remy

o
RE: Cedar Damage from Snow

I typically take twine and spiral around my arborvitae (6 footers) for the winter and shake off excess snow to prevent overweighting them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here