Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hundreds of Birds

Posted by wantoretire_did z4 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 26, 06 at 11:43

About an hour ago, several hundred birds swooped onto my next door neighbor's back yard and began pecking at the grass. Each time a car went by they would all swoop up to a tree, then back down again, gradually working their way around to the front, then onto our lawn. They were sort of a med/dark brown, not pretty from my vantage point. It looked like they were pulling up small worms???? Then, they were gone. All of this in a matter of maybe 10-15 minutes.

Are any of you aware of some kind of phenomonen that is happening in the soil? Is something hatching?

I was honestly afraid to go out to try to get a closer look. It was very much like the movie!!

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hundreds of Birds

I have seen starlings do that. They are usually after grubs.

Penny

o

Penny - Thanks. That must be what they were. I did a google search and came up with the video below, which is exactly what they were doing. Pretty amazing. Notice the twin evergreens to the left of a white house and how they are weighed down by the birds.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: The birds

o

Carol,
That is an ubelievable video! I couldn't believe how they were weighing down the branches on the cedar.

Penny

o

Great video!! I have seen similar bird activity in my yard, and am hoping they are eating all the bad bugs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here