Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roch_plantgirl

Gladiola still green??

roch_plantgirl
18 years ago

Hi everyone!

This is my first year gardening, and I planted some gladiola bulbs that flowered wonderfully around August.

I've read that I'm supposed to dig up the bulbs once the leaves turn yellow and winter them in a cool, dry place...problem is, my leaves are still green!

Shouldn't they be yellow by now? Anyone else having this problem? Should I be concerned?

Comments (7)

• penny1947
    18 years ago

roch,
    I can't be bothered digging mine up so they stay in the ground all winter. Mine are planted up next to the house on the western side of the house so maybe it is warmer there but mine come back each year. Mine are still green also. I did end up pulling two out over the week end while I was cleaning up the bed a little and now I have to figure out what I am going to do with it for the winter. I may just stick them back in the ground . By the time mine finally turn brown we usually already have snow and I am not about to go digging up bulbs in the snow. If yours are in a protected area they may just be fine where they are.

Penny

• faltered
    18 years ago

Mine were green also. But I didn't want to lose them to the frosts, so I dug them up. The leaves turned yellow in about two weeks. Then I cut the leaves off and put the corms in brown paper bags.

This was my first year with glads and they were wonderful. Not sure how hardy the varieties I have are, so I didn't risk it. Maybe next year I"ll leave a few in the ground and see what happens.

Tracy

• roch_plantgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, the kind I have don't seem to be anything special - just a variety pack from the store. I guess I'll leave them in for now, and if they yellow when it's still decent out, I'll dig them up.

Thanks for the advice!

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Mine originally came from Wal Mart and they were very cheap. They have been in the ground for 7 yrs now.

Penny

• jannie
    18 years ago

I was given a dozen gladioli one year. I planted them and they were beautiful. Due to surgery on my hand, I couldn't dig them up. They survived to the next summer. I left them in again and they failed to return. Well, at least I didn't spend $ on them.

• UpstateNYgardener
    18 years ago

Glads are perennial elsewhere ... like many things we plant and dig up or are considered annuals here but perennials elsewhere. I have always dug them up. But was told you can mulch them heavily -- leaves or straw -- and they will be fine. Guess it depends how attached you are to these particular bulbs. If they are Wal-mart specials I would leave them in and hope for the best. But if you are depending on glads, I would dig them. Green or brown foliage doesn;t matter at this point in the year. (Foudn that out when I mowed down my irises and have seen new growth by them even this fall!). Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rural Life 2.0

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

Mine are always green when I dig them up. I've found that when I pull them up by the stems, the ones that break off and stay in the ground are the ones that are really ripe.

If the new bulb has fully formed with the old bulb just a wrinkled hard knob on the bottom of it, then it has a chance of blooming next year. I break off the green stalk, wash them with a hose, then dry them in the sun and store them in my basement.

Most years I just pay the 10 dollars for a new bag. They turn to mush in my raised beds over winter if I leave them there.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!