Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

? For those growing Gladiolas

penny1947
14 years ago

Do any of your that grow gladiolas cut the tops back in the fall? I never have before but this year I had so many more come up that they are falling all over the place. Since I don't dig mine up in the fall I decided to cut the tops back like I did my irises this year so things looked a little less unorganized.

Penny

Comments (10)

• husky004_
    14 years ago

Penny-I cut mine down to the ground, not sure if that's right but i figured less chance of them heaving during the winter, they seem to survive every year and multiply. Kathy

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Husky! I have never read or known of anyone cutting theirs back before so I didn't know if I was going to end up killing them or not. Mine have never heaved but they sure do look unsightly by spring. I am glad to know that someone else cuts theirs down. I am also fighting a very very crafty vole and am trying to eliminate any places for him to find shelter or hiding places LOL!

Penny

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

I cut mine back to the ground in the fall.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks GG, I just never thougth too much about it since so many people up here dig theirs up but I don't digu up anything I don't have to and Glads are one that can stay put over the winter. Mine are all cut down for the winter.

Penny

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

Glads will over winter? In zone 5? I don't grow many, but have never tried leaving them in the ground over the winter.

I keep mine in pots which I bring into my office building (around 50 degrees), and I remove the foliage once it dries up, cutting it all the way down if it wont pull out easily.

-Rosalinda

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

To be completely honest I don't know if I am zone 5 or zone 6 here in Niagara County. It depends on who I ask or what map I look at but since I don't like cold weather I consider it to be zone 6 and plant for zone 7 LOL! My glads have been planted on the west side of the house which gets the worst of the winter westher for 11 yrs come May. I have never dug them up. I did lose a few the first year I think due to voles but since then they have multiplied and migrated all over the bed. It might be worth trying a few in the ground in a semi protected environment to see how they fair next spring. I also have a snapdragon that comes back from the roots. It is now 6 yrs. old.

Penny

• jerome69
    14 years ago

Penny; your right about the glads. i live on grand island and experimented with leaveing them in. i don't cut them back and mulch heavy to protect them (ground up leaves). i also get snapdragons back every year.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jerome
    Glad to hear of another western NYer who leaves theirs in the ground. I have never mulched my glads nor even added any compost to the soil but I may next spring when they start growing again. My glads are the basic cheap glads that come in a bag from Wal Mart. They aren't even the ones that are supposed to be hardier for colder zones.

Penny

• jerome69
    14 years ago

Penny; mine are the cheap ones i picked up on sale.i bought them on a whim and figured i would try them out.did you ever get the compost from the amherst compost center? jerry

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No Jerry I never went over to the Amherst center. I had plenty of compost from my own yard debris and then I just went to the public works dept. here in N. Tonawanda and dug a few barrels of wood mulch for my salvias and agastaches. I still have my compost bin and another 33 gallon barrel ful of compost that will be able to break down over the winter plus three more bags of leaves in the garage.

Penny