Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

Who's WS in CNY?

I WS'd for the first time last year and became hooked. This year, except for my basil, I am WSing everything I need for next season. I have been collectiong gallon and 1/2 gallon jugs for awhile now (have maybe 90 1g and 15 1/2g). I started putting stuff out today.

1 type Clematis

2 types Bleeding Hearts

9 types Delphinium

2 types Lupine

1 type minature rose

3 types Iris's

A beautiful daylily mix

blackberry lilies

and alot of Japanese Maple "Orangeola"

I'm gonna try to get all my Columbine and a few others out on Monday. Trying to get through my Perennial list.

My list is HUGE and if I can collect enough jugs, between the perennials, annuals, herbs, ect. I will be putting out over 200 gallon jugs and 50 1/2 gallon jugs. My annuals, I won't start putting out until Feb-Mar. So I have some time to start collecting the jugs for them. I also need to pick up more potting mix. I have 6cu ft so far, but I think I might need double of that.

Melissa

Comments (15)

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

Have been for about five years and will continue too.
    I'm sure I'll eventually stop as I'll either be unable to do it physically or have no space left in the beds.
    But, until that happens, I'll have jugs of soil under snow every winter. :)

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

I also wintersow. Two years ago I did a few jugs. Last year I did over 100. I'm telling myself that I will cut back a little but I have so many seeds from generous gardeners that I just may meet or beat what I did last year. Last year I labeled my jugs with a sharpie - big mistake... I can recognize seedling up to a point..so all the veggies got into the veggie garden but had to wait to see what was broccoli and what was cauliflower for example. I'll do better this year.

I have just put only 3 jugs .. columbine, cosmos and yellow foxglove, We're having a New Years Eve party so I'm concentating on cooking and cleaning but after Jan 1st I plan to get alot out.

kim

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have over 40 jugs out now. I have hit a slump though and haven't put any out in about a few weeks time. I need to get back on the wagon, because of how much I want to ws this year.

Melissa

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Hi! I started winter sewing last year. I haven't yet for this year though. I had good luck last year with broccoli, kohlrabi, lettuce, oregano, marjoram, parsley, basil and fenugreek. I also winter sowed, hostas, cosmos, zinnias, calendula, 4 o'clocks, marigolds, petunias, daturas, nicandra and balsom impatiens.

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

Here's what I WS'ed on January 8th.
    Columbine- McKenna
    foxglove yellow
    Cosmos sensations mix
    Downey Skullcap Scutellaria incana
    Columbine natural
    goat's beard
    white beard tongue - Penstemon Digitalis
    beard tongue - Penstemon pinifolius
    St Johns Wort
    Johnny Jump up
    alpine strawberry
    alpine strawberry
    penstemon nature white
    red cabbage
    cabbage chinese michihi
    kale dwarf ble currled
    kohlrabi
    lemon balm
    Chinese forget me not mystery rose
    Wild Flax Linum perenne "saphyr"
    Catchfly
    White Lupine

Working on getting more containers . I will do another batch next week. How are you doing Melissa? Have you started yet Becky?

kim

Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kim, I'm doing ok. I have gotten back into WS and am up to 10 1/2 gallon jugs and over 60 1 gallon jugs (I lost count after 60). If the snow melts a little I really need to get out there and do a complete count. I still have about 25 1G jugs inside, cleaned and ready to be filled and a many more untouched outside in my daughters fort for storage. I have 97% of my perennials for the year done with, waiting on a few still coming through the mail from trading. I have started on my annual's. Got all my 9 type hollyhocks out, along with some others. Most of my stuff can go out now, there isn't much that I have that is frost tender. My zinnia's, basil, Sweet pea's (will DS), tomatoes and a few other's I need to look up because I'm not sure.

I got 14 1G jugs out late last night and can only imagine what my neighber that was in thier car (in thier driveway) thought when they saw me hauling all these milkjugs to my side yard at about midnight, LOL.

Melissa

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

Ok Melissa,

How many jugs do you have now? I'm up to about 75. I still have to do all the tomatoes, parsley, zinnias and tender annuals and veggies. I am participting in a round robin swap so I hope to get mor things to WS.

PS I will do a late season WS (spring sow ? ) in jugs. Much easier to transplant into bare spots in my cottage style garden then to DS seeds then work around them when I'm weeding.

kim

Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm at 101 Gallon jugs and I have lost count at the moment for my half gallons. I am all done with my perennials (except for a few left from recent trades) and am at least halfway done with my annuals. What is left of the annuals are spring sowing though. I can do a little left now, but the rest is frost tender and has to wait till spring. I ran out of potting mix and haven't been to Lowes yet to get more.

I was gonna WS my tomatoes, but decided I would start indoors along with my basil/few peppers. I am gonna be so busy starting April.

Melissa

• Carol_from_ny
    15 years ago

This is my first year WSing and I've gotten about 30 containers out.
    daylilly seeds from plants I have.
    purple lupine
    datura, black currant
    reidbeckia, red
    datura, white
    columbine, purple
    trumpet vine, orange
    fox glove
    echinecea, white
    hollyhock, red
    lupines
    dutch iris, purple
    columbine,white
    hollyhock, black
    delphinium,semi dwarf and giant
    hostas seed from plants I have
    gaillardia
    lavendar
    columbine, mix
    dianthus, red

asclepia, red butterfly

Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol, your gonna love WS. It free's up so much space indoors and gives you something to do during the winter.

Melissa

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

Ohh, red asclepia. LMK if you have extra seeds to trade.

kim

• Carol_from_ny
    15 years ago

I put them all in Kim BUT remind me in the fall and we'll see if maybe we can't work out a seed swap.

• daisydawnny
    15 years ago

This is my first year and so far I have 40 containers out...I will be doing more over the weekend. I am totally addicted!

Original Author
    15 years ago

YEAHHHHHHHHHH. I finished WSing today. All I have left are my very frost tender stuff I'll start in May in jugs, basil, zinnia, ect. I'm gonna be starting my peppers next week inside too, than my tomatoes in April.

Melissa

Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I got my first sprouts for the year.

Agrostemma, from Renee's Garden

Melissa1977

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County