Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_lee_gw

transplanted native hemlocks

daisy_lee
18 years ago

I recently transplanted several 2'-5' native hemlocks and they seem to be doing well. Is there anything that I can give them in the spring that will help them grow full and tall?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Daisy

Comments (4)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    18 years ago

Keep a close watch on how close the wooly adelgid has approached. You may have to start a spray program to keep the trees.

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

Living in the midst of a hemlock forest, I seldom transplant them, but I have. They're easy. They need a humus-rich soil that never dries out but drains readily. Just duplicate their native habitats. They're shallow rooted, so they transplant easilyÂand topple just as easily, so you might want to stake them until their root systems re-establish themselves, especially if they are in a windy area. Keep them well watered until the ground freezes. Come spring, you shouldn't have to do anything, although a thin mulch of shredded leaves, hemlock "needles" or compost should be beneficial.

• craig76
    16 years ago

Depending on where you acquired your trees you may have helped spread a fungus that is eradicating hemlock though out the NE.At this time it is moving though the Catskills.If you found these trees on state land you broke the law. You can not take plants from state land.While we all mean well we have to think of the outcome before we act.ie Dutch elm.

• potsnpans
    16 years ago

The wooly aldegid is an insect that is spreading, unfortunately, well on it's own (wind, birds, mammals).
    If you do see the wooly looking (think very small Q-Tip)small bugs at the branch meets needle area, easiest, safest method is to use horticultural oil or soap to kill them. Homeowners can buy the stuff at any garden store, it has been used safely for a long time in gardens. It only works if you are infested, this stuff is not a repelent. Do a search to find out more about application.

I have yet to see them in my neck of the Catskills.

I too have many transplanted hemlock on my property. They grow quickly and can be trimmed to fit your needs. I used to gently rip them off of the rocky soil, and dig a shallow hole and of all the trees I planted, I believe all are still out there! (think weeds)
    State Land - ba! there goes more hard earned tax money.