Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

PBS event - 'Hummingbirds, Magic in the Air'

penny1947
14 years ago

On Jan. 10th PBS will air a great program on Hummingbirds. A portion of the program wil feature a dear friend of mine,Nancy Newfield, who will be banding with the assistance of two other friends in Louisiana. There will also be footage from Peru, California and Ecuador of many hummingbird species. Another friend in Connecticut was lucky enough to see a preview showing of the program earler this month and she said it is spectacular. So if you have an interest in hummingbirds this is a must see.

In the Buffalo area the program will air Monday, Jan. 10th at 8pm on WNED.

Penny

Comments (11)

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    14 years ago

Penny,

Thanks so much for posting. Will set my DVR up to record right after I'm done watching my Ghost Hunter's. I have like 20hrs of Gh to work though, LOL.

Melissa1977

• nyvoices99
    14 years ago

Thanks for the heads up Penny, will try to catch it, OHHHH I can't wait for your hummingbird post, so over winter, but it's not over us yet:(------:)Anita

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Melissa and Anita,
    I will try to remember to post a reminder on the 10th. I too am so looking forward to the the start of the spring migration. The first reports of them arriving on the Gulf coast should be around the end of February so even though we are all blanketed in snow (2 1/2 ft at my house), the start of the migration isn't too far off even thugh it will be a while after that before they hit NY State.

Penny

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK HUMMINGBIRD PEOPLE!
    Here is my gentle reminder about the PBS Hummingbird Special this evening. In the Buffalo area it will air at 8 pm on WNED (Channel 3 on Cable). Out of the area you will have to check your local PBS station program guide. My Friend in Connecticut who was lucky enoughg to see an early preview said that it is well worth watching and that it is awsome.

Penny

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anita and Melissa
    I hope that you both had a chance to seeo the PBS special. The footage was fantastic. My only regret is that they didn't show a little more footage of Nancy, Joan and Kevin doing the banding in Baton Rouge at the end of the program.

For anyone who missed it and would like to see it, I believe it will be aired again at midnight on Jan. 13th (Wednesday). I plan on trying to stay up so that I can watch it again.

Penny

14 years ago

I did forget it was playing, but luckly had set up my DVR in advance. If I get done with baking early today, I'll try to watch it before my daughter gets home from school.

Thanks
    Melissa1977

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Melissa,
    I think that you will throughly enjoy it. All the reviews from my hummingbird forum were excellent. I belive that there are about 45 different species of hummers showcased. The Spatuletail is absolutely beautiful. Towards the end Nancy Joan and Kevin briefly depict the banding process of one of the wintering species in Baton Rouge. Everyone's only complaint was that it was only a very short hour long and I agree.

For anyone who missed the presentation and wasn't able to record it, the episode is available at PBS online at the link below

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbirds: Magic in the Air

• husky004_
    14 years ago

Penny-thanks so much for the link...finally got a chance to watch it quite amazing!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Husky,
    I am glad you were able to watch it. I saw the initial airing and then have watched it online a couple of times. Each time I see something I missed the first time. I really wish they had shown more of Nancy and Kevin and Joan banding that Rufous.

Penny

14 years ago

I LOVED IT!!!

Penny, I finally watched it on my dvr. All I could think through it was, I need more feeder's, I need more feeders, LOL. I also really enjoyed the arial territory fights as I have never seen them in person unless you count 2 Ruby throat males zipping by you together.
    I didn't erase it and plan on watching it a few more times.

Melissa1977

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Melissa,
    I am glad that you enjoyed it. I did too and even though I wasn't able to record it I have been able to watch the full version several times myself online on the PBS viewer. There was some really amazing footage. I usually have 4-6 feeders out by June. I start with two when they first start filtering into NY state and gradually add more as the season progreses. I want to make sure I don't miss anything! I have seen the male display only twice and the best one was last spring...quite amazing.

Penny

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996