Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great places to live in upstate New York

Posted by cloudshillfarm (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 27, 09 at 8:51

Good morning everyone~
We are looking to move to upstate New York. I was reading some posts and noticed that someone mentioned Sharon Springs. We are planning on looking at a house there as well as in the St. Johnsville area. Could you tell me alittle about those areas? How are the schools and the people? Is there alot of farmland? I know that Sharon Springs was once famous for it's sulphur baths. Should that be a concern? Thanks so much for any input you can give. Happy Holidays! vanessa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great places to live in upstate New York

I live in Huntersland, which is on the eastern side of Schoharie County (same county as Sharon Springs). Sharon Springs does have a sulphur smell to it often. But, that's right in the village, near the baths. This quaint small town is really enjoying a revival. Another town within the county that you might consider is Middleburgh. If you have specific questions, please private email me and I'll be glad to help.

o

What part of upstate NY are you looking into? Technically, upstate NY is huge as it is basically the entire state sans NYC and Long Island.

o

Hello,
thanks for the responses. I just figured out how to get back on this website. When it comes to "upstate New York" we are looking all over from ulster county, the adirondacks, the finger lakes region, leather stocking region and anywhere else that we find someone we like. We visited Sharon Springs recently and we really liked the area. Very quiant town. Does anyone have any info on the Sharon Springs Central School district? I have a 12 year old that would be attending that school. thanks sooooo much and have a great weekend!! Vanessa

o

Vanessa, go to the link here and it will take you to the Schoharie County Chamber of Commerce (this is the county Sharon Springs is in). You can get lots of info here. Also, Jodi, the director of the chamber, is very friendly and can mail you info as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schoharie County Chamber of Commerce

o

I've lived in Skaneateles, NY for 10 years now. It's a beautiful place to be. Skaneateles is the cleanest lake in NYS and the third cleanest in the US. Skaneateles is Iroquios for Long Lake. They have a great school system. The population is about 15,000 in summer and 10,000 the rest of the year. We're close to Syracuse. We're centrally located, so its not far to Pennsylvania, Canada, Vermont or Massachusetts. Just my shameless plug for the hometown! :)

o

I do love Schoharie county though I live on the western edge of Greene County. Maybe look into Greene county. It's nicely situated 2.5 hrs from NYC and we have the Hudson river and the Catskill mountains. There's also great cultural things that are starting to arise. Property values are still realistic. Best of luck ;-)

o

My wife and I were looking in Upstate New York, near Sharon Springs, and even found a wonderful place in my hometown of Oneonta (Otsego County). If you want to live in a warm, friendly place with lots of wonderful people, it's the place to go. Unfortunately for me, my job in Nevada chose instead to move me to Seattle, of all places! So, after I found my cute little dream house, I had to give it up. It's still on the market, too.

http://www.exitta.com/real-estate/Otsego-Delaware-MLS/Residential/property/75265-3794-State-Highway-23-Oneonta-NY-13820/

Happy hunting!

- Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Oneonta dream house

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here