Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammerl

spring bulbs up??? It's December!

hammerl
17 years ago

Help. My hyacinths are starting to poke up. My muscari leaves are up, but they do that. Hyacinths, never. Do I cover them back up for winter, or leave them be? Compounding things, we had our roof replaced and the roofers tried to be helpful and vacuumed up the beds of debris (and leaves that were mulching, and some of my fairly dormant columbine,and who knows what else.) So do I throw some dirt on these emerging bulbs? No sign of my daffs, glory-of-the-snow, snowdrops, tulips, or crocuses, just the hyacinths making that untimely appearance. They may be the ones I planted this fall. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• faltered
    17 years ago

My hyacinth came up a bit last year during the warm spell we had in November. Heck, I had dahlias still in bloom into the end of November.

I wouldn't worry about them. They'll die back once the colder temps come.

Tracy

• hammerl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, should I be alarmed that my lacecap hydrangea is beginning to leaf?

I haven't looked at most of the rest of the plants. I'm afraid to. It's 50 out again. Not that I'm complaining. :)

• laurelin
    17 years ago

I've got reticulated irises trying to come up. That happens most winters, I just ignore them and they do fine. I'd add some mulch to the columbine just in case, but there's not much you can do about the hydrangea. I noticed yesterday that one of my clematis has some green showing in the leaf buds. I seem to remember that happening before and it did just fine in the spring, so I choose not to worry about what I can't help.

It sure has SOUNDED like spring here lately - the birds have been singing like it was late March instead of mid December. . . .

Laurel

• hammerl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Heh. My lenten rose appears to be budded. Perhaps with the warm weather it wants to be an advent rose this year.

Hyacinths are still just peeking at the tips, no bud/bloom. Hydrangeas are leafing. Some muscari greens are up. New growth on the Jupiter's Beard, and I think those may be new leaves on the black-eyed susans.

So what season is it? Oh,yeah, first day of winter.

• breenthumb
    17 years ago

Almost time for January thaw! Sandy

• penny1947
    17 years ago

It has been a while since I popped in but husky's email prompted me to check in to see what is going on and this post caught my eye as I had just finished a walk around the yard and boy was I surprised.

My daffs and tulips are about 2-3 inches tall. My alliums are up but not blooming. My lenten rose is blooming like crazy, One of my red buckeyes is budded out and the rhododendron buds are swelling quite a bit and I still have one snapdragon that is still green and healthy but not blooming. I am not concerned about the bulbs or the snapdragon but I am about the other plants that are coming up, out or blooming out of season. If winter decides to hit now I may lose these plants. Personally I am loving this weather.

Penny

• penny1947
    17 years ago

.... I forgot to mention in my last post that my coral honeysuckle is blooming again too!

Penny