Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantoretire_did

This isn't fun any more

wantoretire_did
16 years ago

OK - I've snowblown the double driveway and walkways 3 times this week and I'm pooped. However, I think it is weight-bearing exercise which I really need!! Don't like it when it's windy and the snow blows back into my face :-((

Comments (12)

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Nope, no fun at all. I keep telling myself that at least my plants are nice and snug under a layer of snow, instead of exposed to the elements in a "dry" cold winter.

Laurel

• wantoretire_did
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's true - no more "early spring" in November!!

• wantoretire_did
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now its four times this week - I'm getting it down to a science ;-)

• hammerl
    16 years ago

We just got hit last Sunday with a foot but none since. Unfortunately, our snowblower appears to have a loose pin and then my husband broke the startup pull yesterday while checking it out to determine what parts he needed so it is now in dire need of repair. So when (not if) we do get more snow, I'll be wielding the beat-up shovel.

The plants are, indeed, snug under some snow, but that should melt this weekend. I'm thinking this warm-up cool-down cyclical weather is NOT what the plants need.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    16 years ago

I need Arizona. Southern Arizona. 70 degrees and sunny. I've had it with winter, especially now when everyone is in their shopping frenzy. I like a good snowstorm, but I can have that in the mountains of Arizona. My friends who winter in Florida are laughing in ecstacy.

• wantoretire_did
    Original Author
    16 years ago

susanzone - I spent a year in Tucson - which included an entire summer. After dealing with the heat and scorpions in the house in a brand new development, I realized I'd rather spend a winter here than a summer every again in AZ.

Actually, I love the seasonal changes; there's always something somewhere.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    16 years ago

I could never be in Arizona in summer..I don't know how they do it. They say they stay indoors all the time in air conditioning. I like it just for the winter. It's so delightful there, and with enough winter rain, the desert is covered with poppies. I had some scorpions in the place where we stayed and that scared me but I squished them. I'm sick of this horrible cabin fever, sunless sky, and icy slush.

I love the seasons, too, especially spring and fall, but you can keep December through February around here! I'm getting to the age where I understand snowbirds heading south. (Also the age where I can see moving to a condo with maintenance workers on staff. lol)

• wantoretire_did
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, hear you there. Seems like the only sr. housing here is extremely high end or low income, neither of which we can do, so will tough it out in our little Cape Cod in Saratoga till the bitter end......

• dirthappy
    16 years ago

I'm escaping for a week March 2 to sourthern Caribbean. I need sunshine

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Sounds like a great escape, dirthappy. My sister and her family are in Florida right now, and my kids are a bit envious, but I'm not minding the weather much right now. I guess if I had to choose a place to get away, it wouldn't be tropical, but that's just my preference. Send me to Italy, I'd love to see the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, or send me to the Rockies in the summer, or to Ireland in the spring. . . .

Laurel

• wantoretire_did
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurelin - I just looked at your 'page' to see where you are located and read about your DH's desire for a pipe organ. There was an article in a local magazine (which got thrown out) about the house shown for sale in the link. The seller's husband built the organ himself and as I recall, he built the room as well, to get perfect acoustics. He has passed and she needs to sell the property. Something to dream about, or if you have a cool $1.2 million laying around, you could buy it :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pipe Organ House

• laurelin
    16 years ago

That property is a real dream, for both my DH and I. Wow and a half, it's amazing. Thanks for sharing it, but it's way out of our league. The stuff of dreams (and hey, we might as well dream big!). That house/organ looks like it was a real labor of love.

Laurel

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area