Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fowweezer

Shoulder Season Vegetables

fowweezer
15 years ago

Hopefully people here can give me some suggestions. We've had a garden for the last 3 years, growing the usual mix of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers (jalapeno, and chili) and cantaloupe. We've tried a couple of other standards along the way as well, including watermelon.

We wanted to make an effort this year to also plant in the shoulder seasons, rather than just planting a summer garden and having one "harvest." Our neighbors grow carrots and some other things in the fall and I believe he does an early planting of some kind as well.

Basically, we're planning to still do tomatoes, peppers, cucumber and some stuff like that in the summer, but we're looking for suggestions for other things that we can grow early season, late season and alternatives for summer stuff (not knowing enough about gardening to have any idea of what might be viable in our climate zone).

Any help you folks can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• cyclewest
    15 years ago

Here's an interesting article from Deseret News on fall crops. That's not now, of course, but you can plan...

Also an article on root crops from West Virginia University extension services... Rediscover Forgotten Root Crops - http://www.wvu.edu/~exten/infores/pubs/fypubs/Rediscover%20Forgotten%20Root%20Crops%20Leader's%20Guide%20WLG%20151.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: July - good time to plant for fall harvest

• stevation
    15 years ago

You can plant peas, lettuce, cabbage, or other "cold-season" veggies in early March. I always grow peas, and it's great, because it's the only time my kids will eat them!

Last year, I planted green beans in July after the peas were all gone, in the spot where the peas were. It worked OK, but they would have done better if I planted them early. I didn't harvest them until early October, and I think I would have had a better crop if I would have planted them by the first of July for a September crop. Of course, beans can be grown from spring planting for summer harvest too.

• fowweezer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info so far guys. Those are helpful links, and the information about early march is good.

I guess that, in reality, I should ask what a good comprehensive book for this kind of thing is. My Dad knows a lot about crops in Utah (he works in agri-business) but he's so long-winded that its painful getting a straight answer from him sometimes. Is there a book on Utah gardening that is useful? I checked a couple at the bookstore but didn't see much specific to vegetables and multiple plantings in a year. I don't even know the timeframes....i.e. plant peas in early march and then harvest them when? And then plant summer crops when and expect a harvest when?

Those types of basic questions are too much for this forum, so some sort of reference work would be excellent.

Thanks.

• cyclewest
    15 years ago

Most seed packets will tell you the days to harvest. I got some red onions that I will plant in March and expect to harvest 100 days from then. Kale in April and expect to harvest 60 days from then. Pumpkins will have to wait until June, but their 120 days to harvest will take me right up to September/October for Halloween.

• zubababy
    15 years ago

Month-by-Month Gardening in the Rocky Mountains: What to Do Each Month to Have a Beautiful Garden All Year by John Cretti
    has a section about vegetables and when to sow seeds indoors, when to sow outdoors, and when to plant out.
    I got my book at Lowe's or Home Depot. There are quite a few books there, that you can browse through.

• strayarrow
    15 years ago

Surprised no one mentioned Elito Colemans Four Season Harvest. My first fall/winter w/his method has been surprisingly productive.

• bryan_ut
    15 years ago

The best thing to plant in fall is garlic. I have put in with some success spinach, kale, lettuce, and arugula. Also in fall put in carrots and onions for next spring.

• amlinde78
    15 years ago

The Utah State Extension service is a great resource for anything Utah in terms of growing vegetables.

Here is a link that you may find helpful for harvest dates, planting times etc.

http://www.co.utah.ut.us/Dept/Exten/Data/vegetableutah.pdf

A general rule of thumb is that you have three different types of crops. Cole crops (they like cool weather and frequent water), summer crops, and hot crops.

Cole crops- Peas, onions, lettuce, carrots, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower etc. Generally, these can be planted once the soil can be worked and can withstand mild freezing temperatures.

Summer crops- cucumbers, summer squash, beans, peppers etc. These must be planted after the danger of frost has past and you usually can't get more than one harvest per year.

Hot crops (vine crops)- Melons, tomatoes etc. These like it hot and like deep but infrequent watering. These will die with one frost.

Cole crops are the ones that you will try and do in the spring and again in the fall. You will start planting your fall crop July 1st depending on the plant.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you, have fun with it and don't get discouraged.

Sponsored